What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EXTRAS is by far my favourite Gervais stuff. Haven't seen After Life (and may not for a while, being on Netflix!).
I think it's because his character is very low-key, and he lets the others have more space.

I found the Office immensely annoying at first, until I learnt to appreciate the Martin Freeman and Mackenzie Crook characters - they're the real stars of the show! The central character was played for irritation value, and I'm afraid that's exactly how I found him.

Derek was just a bit ... meh. Watchable, nothing really to it.

I can certainly see why Gervais isn't everyone's cuppa.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As I couldn't sleep last night, I watched Youtube and found a good documentary called " Le facteur humain" . It is in French and might be of interest to some of you who have a grasp of the language. It is all about a retired college teacher who lives in Renon in Brittany and for the last three years, he decided to deliver family non-urgent letters for free, anywhere in France, and beyond , in the summer, on his recumbent. It is about 50 minutes long and after watching the first, I will watch the second one tonight as he is now in Switzerland , in Lausannes and I want to see how good is his recumbent at dealing with the Alps.
Was it this one?

D

Deleted member 26715

I always felt the same about him TBH, but a recommendation got me to watch season 1 of After Life last year and I really enjoyed it, and I've just watched season 2 over a couple of nights, and I loved it. Some elements are quite personal to me which I'm sure aids my connection to it, but it's not the Gervais you've come to expect from his other ventures, After Life is a complete departure from that I can assure you.

Each episode is less than a half hour so I'd really recommend giving it a go, I was completely surprised by it, but it hasn't changed my opinion of the likes of The Office and Derek etc etc, I'll simply never get those.
The wife mentioned it again last night, she has seen a few with the son, I can see I'm going to get overruled so I may as well accept the inevitable, I can always go into another room if necessary, it really bugs me that he bugs me for no particular reason other than he is a complete & utter [censored] OR is he that good, that that is the character he wants to portray, the only thing is whenever I've seen him supposedly himself, being interviewed, he is exactly the same, ah well I'm sure I don't even register on his consciousness.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Normal People. Teenagers were played by actors in their 20s. It reminded me of Grease and Beverley Hills 90210. I suppose they had to do it because of all the bonking in the second episode.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I've watched half of it so far, I need the French practise. :rolleyes: I made it a bit easier on myself by turning on the subtitles, since French spoken fluently at full speed is a bit too much for me to follow, I'm just a beginner at French. I miss France so much. :sad:
I have just finished watching episode 2. Very inspiring and well made. Enjoy. :okay:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The wife mentioned it again last night, she has seen a few with the son, I can see I'm going to get overruled so I may as well accept the inevitable, I can always go into another room if necessary, it really bugs me that he bugs me for no particular reason other than he is a complete & utter [censored] OR is he that good, that that is the character he wants to portray, the only thing is whenever I've seen him supposedly himself, being interviewed, he is exactly the same, ah well I'm sure I don't even register on his consciousness.
I think that Gervais is very, very funning The Office, Derek, etc. brilliantly so. But whenever he is interviewed he comes across as a real twunk - just my opinion of course :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think that Gervais is very, very funning The Office, Derek, etc. brilliantly so. But whenever he is interviewed he comes across as a real twunk - just my opinion of course :smile:

His one-off tours are brilliant imo - The Bible is a top-notch assassination job.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The Last Kingdom S4 on Netflix - more blood thirsty antics from the usual suspects. Quite an enjoyable romp. Speaking of which, Lovely Wife has the hots for Uhtred and has made it known that she would quite like an enjoyable romp with the hero of the tale. The Hussey. ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
I watched it and my honest opinion....I thought it was sh1te.
I'd have gone with the original theme tune aswell !
Sh1te ?..(Van Der Valk).for me it was meh, not terrible but nowt special at all.
I didnt like they way he portrayed the character, I cant put my finger on it, it was attempting to drive the character and storyline along...nah, I wouldnt watch it again.

Adam4868

Guru
Sh1te ?..(Van Der Valk).for me it was meh, not terrible but nowt special at all.
I didnt like they way he portrayed the character, I cant put my finger on it, it was attempting to drive the character and storyline along...nah, I wouldnt watch it again.
Im not sure which part I disliked most ? The accents,the story....to be fair there seems to be very little on ITV,especially dramas that I really like.Im hard to please !

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im not sure which part I disliked most ? The accents,the story....to be fair there seems to be very little on ITV,especially dramas that I really like.Im hard to please !

On reflection I think your probably about right.
Few parts were silly , annoying ..and predictable

Top Bottom