What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Hotel Babylon

Tin Pot

Guru
Star Trek Discovery on Netflix. I really liked it, the effects are as good as it gets and the characters so far have been interesting. I'm a pretty sympathetic audience though.
It's beautiful, I liked it. Made the kids watch it.

But why is she called Michael? It's annoying.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It's beautiful, I liked it. Made the kids watch it.

But why is she called Michael? It's annoying.
I was curious myself and I've gotten used to it now.

It's a Bryan Fuller thing apparently
We've worked on many shows with Bryan and it's a motif,” executive producer Aaron Harberts tells TV Guide. “It's his signature move to name his lead women with names that would typically be associated as male.”

Looking back on Fuller’s work, the pattern holds. Ellen Muth played George on Dead Like Me, Anna Friel played Chuck in Pushing Daisies, and Caroline Dhavernas played Jaye on Wonderfalls.

"I have known of, I think, two [female] Michaels: Michael Sneed, [who] was a gossip columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times and Michael Steele who played the bass for The Bangles,”
http://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2017/09/23/star-trek-discovery-michael-burnham-name/

Oh and my wife knew a girl called Michael when she was at school so although it's unusual here,it's not unheard of across the pond.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I was curious myself and I've gotten used to it now.

It's a Bryan Fuller thing apparently

http://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2017/09/23/star-trek-discovery-michael-burnham-name/

Oh and my wife knew a girl called Michael when she was at school so although it's unusual here,it's not unheard of across the pond.

Some right on friends of mine name the Treks thusly;

Original
Bald
Black
Lesbian

Not sure what they called the Quantum Leap one but I guess this one will be Gender Variant or some such.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Gotham S3 on Netflix - binge watched all 22 episodes over the last couple of weekends and it didn't disappoint. Easily the best show on the box, consistently strong scripts and really starting to tie the back story together. Although as someone said, who on earth would want to live in Gotham?

S4 has just started in the USA, but no broadcast dates yet for the UK on any medium though...:sad:

After Gotham, we watched Strictly which had me pondering if Ed Nygma and Craig Revel Horwood were separated at birth..?

Also started watching S1 of Line Of Duty, which we missed completely when it originally aired (we weren't hooked until S3) and enjoyed every minute.

Tin Pot

Guru
Black Mirror and Electric Dreams

Some hit, some miss.

I am frustrated by sci fi infused with spooky music and dramatic tension, it's not how I read these stories as a kid.

7/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Black Mirror and Electric Dreams

Some hit, some miss.

I am frustrated by sci fi infused with spooky music and dramatic tension, it's not how I read these stories as a kid.

7/10

Just watched the first episode of Electric Dreams. It was about telepaths, "teeps". A superb piece of drama and filmaking - and a 9/10 at least. Not seen others yet so doesn't conflict with your overall lower score.

Also watching Ben Elton's Shakespeare spoof Upstart Crow. Many of the jokes are laboured and it isn't necessary to be reminded that they just made a joke, or quoted a line from the Bard but I still laughed out loud a lot. Not sure it would be as good if you're not a Shakespeare fan, or as there are a lot of references to him and to history -which is the main running gag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
A different Electric Dream for me - The Commuter.

Timothy Spall is predictably brilliant, the story is incredibly sad and thought provoking and it's visually stunning. I'll be catching up on the previous episodes, and definitely watching the next one since Steve Buscemi is in it.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Timothy Spall is predictably brilliant, the story is incredibly sad and thought provoking and it's visually stunning. I'll be catching up on the previous episodes, and definitely watching the next one since Steve Buscemi is in it.

Yes very good I thought.
As above Tim has shed a lot of weight

Tin Pot

Guru

Just watched half of that on the train to work - made me want to jump off the train ;)

Top Bottom