What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just watched the final episode of Kenneth Clark's Civilisation. That makes it the second time I've watched the whole series since I got a friend to get it for me about 18 months ago. In a month or so I'll start again. Sooner or later I'm going to start actually retaining some of it, and then I'll start to be less monumentally ignorant about art 'n that than I have always been. In the meantime I'll just carry on enjoying it.

Also watched the first of the new run of Escape to the Chateau and much as I liked the original series this one isn't working. A bit too much manufactured drama with crisis in the offing but averted at the last minute - phew! Worth another look next week I suppose.
It might be me, but I find 'Colonel Dick' to be an older version of Guy Martin (except the hair's on the top lip instead)
It'd be interesting to see the pair of them teamed up

The first time I saw Mr Strawbridge, was in 'Scrapheap Challenge',& later on I was truly fascinated by It's Not Easy Being Green
What a wonderful way, & place to live, on that small-holding in Cornwall

The one and the same. Does a very good RP accent for a lass from the North.
And, also wore the spikiest heels on the Disc...........
With a wonderfully paraphrased 'take' on the Dirty Harry "Do You Feel Lucky'

Leaway2

Lycrist
Black lake. The Scandi drama on BBC channel 4. I have watched 4 episodes, It is set in a remote snow covered hotel that has been disused since a family was murdered there. People go from 1 room to another, with nothing much happening. I looked at the listings and this was only 4 of 8. This is very slow.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I felt the same way about the first two seasons - far too concerned with foreshadowing the origins of the characters. But season 3 is a step above, imo, even finding a way to parlay the endless repetition of Bruce's origin story into a plot point.
Surely the whole point of a prequel series is to be totally concerned with the origins of the characters? My only gripe is all the mysticism in Bruce's back story... everything else, so far has been great.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Star Trek Discovery on Netflix. I really liked it, the effects are as good as it gets and the characters so far have been interesting. I'm a pretty sympathetic audience though.

Star Trek Discovery on Netflix. I really liked it, the effects are as good as it gets and the characters so far have been interesting.
So have I, with my daughter
Normally she'd have a brief look, if I was watching, say..... 'DS-9', & walk away
However, unless it's because it was new, she watched this - both episodes!!!

Some familiar faces in it
Michelle Yeoh, (Captain Georgiou) was a Bond girl, in 'Tomorrow Never Dies' (actually a Chinese agent)
James Frain (Sarek) was Mayor Galivan, in 'Gotham'

I'm not sure if it was or not, but.....the voice of one of the Court Martial panel at the end of episode 2, sounded a lot like Tim Russ (Tuvok, in 'Voyager')

I'm a pretty sympathetic audience though.
Me too, I guess, with liking 'TNG', 'Voyager', 'DS-9' & 'Enterprise'

midlife

Guru
'The Vietnam War' - the US funded and trained Ho Chi Minh when he was fighting the Japanese but lived to regret it. They never learn.

I watched that yesterday and part 2 carried on straight away.... hopefully Trump watched it!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just watched both parts 1 & 2 on catch-up. Wow. A meticulous and chilling dissection of the historical roots and progress of the disastrous Vietnam war. Stunning, and as you say, very prescient.
I thought it conveyed brilliantly that uniquely American utter conviction in their own cause. No doubts, no questions, certainly no greys or ambiguities. It's simple: good (that's us) v evil (them). And it's not like these people were dumb. Many of them were extremely bright and well educated. It's just that they seem unable to see beyond a cowboys v Indians level of certainty that, as you say, seems far from just a historical oddity. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
So have I, with my daughter
Normally she'd have a brief look, if I was watching, say..... 'DS-9', & walk away
However, unless it's because it was new, she watched this - both episodes!!!

Some familiar faces in it
Michelle Yeoh, (Captain Georgiou) was a Bond girl, in 'Tomorrow Never Dies' (actually a Chinese agent)
James Frain (Sarek) was Mayor Galivan, in 'Gotham'
That's cool to hear your daughter liked it, they have done a good job of updating it and adding some diversity so maybe that helped. I remember watching Star Trek when I was very young with my mum and dad so it was always a thing we watched together.

I didn't spot the Gotham guy, probably he was in after I stopped watching, but I recognised Sarek from Orphan Black
I thought Yeoh and, even though I didn't like her in Walking Dead, Sonequa were great. There was some comment online at the show starting with two women leads, discussing their careers, with no mention of their love interests. :becool:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Surely the whole point of a prequel series is to be totally concerned with the origins of the characters? My only gripe is all the mysticism in Bruce's back story... everything else, so far has been great.
I know what you mean, but it seemed so crowbarred in in the earlier seasons. Season 3 feels like the writers have chilled out a bit on that front, and let the characters exist in their time a bit more. That scene in the Hall of Mirrors was also great, as was
their finding a way to parlay the DC universe's constant repetition of the death of Bruce's parents into something meaningful. Fish Mooney comes back though.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Netflix)
Recommended to me by lots of people, this is pretty sharply written, although the sheer horribleness of the characters means it's something I can only take in small doses.

Electric Dreams (All4)
Adaptations of Philip K. Dick's short stories, brought to channel 4 in a "Story an Episode" format. Decent production values, and, as you'd expect, some interesting ideas, as well as, so far, good performances. I look forward to the new episodes appearing.

Outlander S3 (Prime)
Still enjoying this, although the split timelines are a bit more distracting than they were in earlier seasons.

Star Trek Discovery (Netflix)
The good: A diverse cast, with some interesting aliens scattered through the crew. The leads are great, and Doug Jones steals the show from the supporting cast. Enjoying the production design and "look" of this series.
The bad: I don't find the Klingons a particularly interesting antagonist, personally, and hope we'll move on to bigger ideas than the peaceful federation facing an implacable warlike enemy fairly soon.

Top Bottom