What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Black Mirror and Electric Dreams

Some hit, some miss.

I am frustrated by sci fi infused with spooky music and dramatic tension, it's not how I read these stories as a kid.

7/10
If you want really good SciFi, watch all seasons of Fringe. It's really good watching, and I've watched my copies of it 3 times so far.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well if it was then I'll be watching no more ^_^

Back to proper sci-fi earlier, The Invaders.
Ends tomorrow then an even older one starts from the very beginning...

Lost In Space :notworthy:

K Dick is all about paranoia. If you aren't and have never been paranoid, you're never going to really get it.

For him, not only are they all out to get you, they are all out to get each other too, and no one can even trust their own mind let alone their senses.

Every story explores that. Which is great. But if you don't know that, you might miss some of the points in his tales.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Another two excellent episodes of the Vietnam doc. One quote stands out, from the v/o taking about how there was - unlike in previous wars - no front line, no ground won or lost, so the metric they fell back on to judge whether they were getting anywhere was body count. How many killed. One ex-army man pointed out that if you're being judged by how many of the enemy you've killed, there's a clear incentive to decide that every corpse is that of an enemy. Another said, thoughtfully and I thought quite profoundly, "If you can't measure what matters, you'll end up thinking that what you can measure is what matters." Think how many contexts that applies to...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another two excellent episodes of the Vietnam doc. One quote stands out, from the v/o taking about how there was - unlike in previous wars - no front line, no ground won or lost, so the metric they fell back on to judge whether they were getting anywhere was body count. How many killed. One ex-army man pointed out that if you're being judged by how many of the enemy you've killed, there's a clear incentive to decide that every corpse is that of an enemy. Another said, thoughtfully and I thought quite profoundly, "If you can't measure what matters, you'll end up thinking that what you can measure is what matters." Think how many contexts that applies to...

Not seen this but will try and catch it in listen-against.

In a similar vein I highly recommend the documentary Fog of War, which is an extended, edited interview with Robert Macnamara, Kennedy's and then Lyndon Johnson's Secretary of State (I guess defence minister in our words). He's candid in some ways and did say the Vietnam War was a mistake.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not seen this but will try and catch it in listen-against.

In a similar vein I highly recommend the documentary Fog of War, which is an extended, edited interview with John Macnamara, Kennedy's and then Lyndon Johnson's Secretary of State (I guess defence minister in our words). He's candid in some ways and did say the Vietnam War was a mistake.
He was cited last night in '65 I think it was as telling LBJ the US had two options: write the whole thing off as a grotesque error, and get out, or agree to the military's demand for a massive increase in manpower, in which case their ultimate chances of success were probably about one in three.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
He was cited last night in '65 I think it was as telling LBJ the US had two options: write the whole thing off as a grotesque error, and get out, or agree to the military's demand for a massive increase in manpower, in which case their ultimate chances of success were probably about one in three.

I think it may have been macnamara who (in retrospect) said that whilst USA thought they were fighting communism the North Vietnamise were continuing their a war of liberation and thus the aims were not per se in conflict and hence the war could have been avoided. Maybe neither side got this at the time.

For all his faults I think Harold Wilson did very well to keep us out of it. Neither Blair nor any of of a number of Tory leaders would have managed this.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For all his faults I think Harold Wilson did very well to keep us out of it. Neither Blair nor any of of a number of Tory leaders would have managed this.
Tho' many took a less appreciative view of his stance at the time...

peyewilsonjohnsonrev1.jpg

[QUOTE 4983132, member: 9609"]And the Cobra just sounded so much better with what I'm guessing was a tradition crossplane, didn't like the sound of the ferrari - too harsh.. presuming it was a flatplane - There are few more evocative sounds than a big V8

Googled some figures for the two cars; Ferrari 570bhp 1565kg versus Cobra 425bhp 1068kg. Cobra 10% better power to weight.[/QUOTE]

Too true, after all these years. still 'whupping Ferraris ass!!'

Top Bottom