What TV are you watching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
F-bomb is one Americanism which truly annoys me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A friend has just introduced me to 'Toast of London' Steven Toast, the central character of the series. A bumbling, self-important actor, an unsuccessful ladies' man and often the bearer of bad fortune. However, Toast considers himself a success despite his obviously failing career. You can catch up on Ch4 or Prime

I don't very often laugh out loud watching stuff, but this clip had me in stitches -

Toast is farking brilliant. I wish they'd make another series. Coincidentally, it introduced me to Matt Berry's music - he's quite a nice line in folky pop.

Designated Survivor, well if Jack Bauer cant sort it no one can..
2 episodes in , it may get me interested but it may take some dedicated viewing

I'm in the middle of S2 - it shares 24's breathless preposterousness, but is undemanding fun, mostly.

I have been watching;
American Horror Story (s1 - s4, Netflix)
Interesting quasi-anthology series with each season having a different setting, but, in many cases, the same core of actors playing different parts. All the series have been good, with S3 ("Coven") standing out as my favourite. It was the point at which the writers seemed to realise just how good the female cast were, and centre the season arc on them entirely - it was also slightly lighter in tone, and had a brilliant, major role for Jamie Brewer, who I hope will get to be one of the leads again. s4 ("Freaks") had really good moments, but didn't seem quite as strong overall to me.

W1A (s3, iPlayer)
I was feeling as though this series had lost something, and then it finished with two great episodes. It's hard to imagine any other broadcaster taking the mickey out of themselves as mercilessly as the BBC do in this.

Upstart Crow (s2? iPlayer)
As mentioned earlier in the thread, many of the jokes can be seen coming a mile off, and this isn't particularly groundbreaking, but it is, inexplicably, pretty good fun.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
After some binge watching I reached the final two episodes of outlander series 1. That was a tough watch and not what I expected from the show. Great acting.

Just started watching outlander on Amazon prime. A lot better than I thought it would be and I'm hooked. The only downside is it's fondness for cliffhangers that make you want to shout at the tv.

View: https://youtu.be/PFFKjptRr7Y

Levo-Lon

Guru
Last night I watched Helen Macdonald's H for Hawk a new chapter on BBC2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09b68wy/natural-world-20172018-7-h-is-for-hawk-a-new-chapter

It is simply stunning and well worth a watch. Great photography and wonderful insight into the life of a goshawk. I love her writing and her documentary making is of the same standard.

I love the Harris Hawk..they have a guy at Kings Cross Station flying one to see off the pigeons.
Evolutionary masterpiece

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
After a recommendation from a friend, I searched BBC iPlayer for "Search for a New Earth", and found it on BBC4, absolutely fascinating.

Our planet cannot sustain the human race for ever, and Professor Stephen Hawking believes that If humans are to survive we must be able to leave Earth and colonise other planets, within 100 years. Problem is, the nearest planet that is likely to be inhabitable is 4.2 light years away, and the fastest yet man made rocket would take 120,000 years to get there, but many people, including Prof. Hawking, reckon it can be done within the nest century. Amazing stuff, available for a few more days.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Last Post, i think its a super bit of sunday night tv..

Edit after episode 3 ,its not good its boring and the drunk needs shooting

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whatched the Steve Busecemi episode of Electric Dreams. Another classy and intelligent bit of television. A minor delight was recognising the song Buscemi sings once or twice - John Dowland's "flow my tears" and remembering there's another PKD story "flow my tears the policeman said". A little treat for the geeks. Have added a dowland CD to my shopping list.

[edit] - forgot to add a mention that it was nice to spot Abraham Popoola in a minor part as the recycling guy / janitor. We'd seen him live in Bristol a few months previously putting in an outstanding performance as Othello, as good as anyone I've seen in anything to be honest. Hopefully he'll get some leading parts on screen by and by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Gunpowder.

Off to a very good start. Great cast and very well shot.

I see there have been some internet histrionics about how violent and brutal it was. Some people really need to get a grip. There were warnings, it was post-watershed, and it is (apparently) historically accurate.

This, from a Grauniad article about it (quoting random internet strangers) made me laugh:

"The regulator Ofcom said it would wait to receive any viewer complaints against the broadcasting code before deciding whether to investigate."

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Interesting that you just say 'great cast and well shot', because that programme had the worst review I have ever heard on R4 the other day! All four reviewers were in agreement that it was truly dreadful.

The reviews I've seen have been pretty hopeless so I've not really paid them much attention. They can't seem to get past Kit Harington being in Game of Thrones, or that the show started quite violently.

Top Bottom