What tyre pressure for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Wonder anyone can help me here. I have posted the same question 3 times to continental tires but they just could not bother to reply. Wonder what kind of service?

Here’s my question I posted to them:

I purchased 2 tyres GP4000s, 25c. Bike and me weigh 65kg. I searched your web and could not find a tire pressure chart.

Please advise what is the best pressure for the front and rear tire.

Thank you.

Ningishzidda

65 kg = 143 lb.

40/60 F/R split.

For 1 sq in rubber on road for each tyre, Front 60, rear 85 psi.

Go for 75 front, 95 rear for a 25 mm tyre.

Put your weight on the bike and the tyres should spread by about 1.5 - 2 mm each side.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
65 kg = 143 lb.

40/60 F/R split.

Put your weight on the bike and the tyres should spread by about 1.5 - 2 mm each side.

Tks for reply.
Tire show min 100psi to max120psi.

Your recommendation is way below the min. Still ok?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Go by feel- my 25c's say 100-125 on them, and I find I'm happiest at 105psi, it's got some give on our 3rd world roads but still not too much rolling resistance, it depends where your loyalties lie- speed vs comfort.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Somewhere between the min and max stated on the tyre walls.
Try a few different pressures to see what is best and comfy for you.

RedMG

Regular
I usually go for about 110 on the back, 100 or less on the front, as I figure it helps dampen the bumps a little. Also go for less on both in the wet.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Somewhere between the min and max stated on the tyre walls.
Try a few different pressures to see what is best and comfy for you.
Don't think that is good idea. previously I'm using Vittoria and their charting states less than 100psi according to my bike and rider weight.

I rather follow some established figures and than fine adjustment later to experiment. To experiment right from the start will be tedious and may have to factor in mood swing.

AndyPeace

Wonder anyone can help me here. I have posted the same question 3 times to continental tires but they just could not bother to reply. Wonder what kind of service?

Here’s my question I posted to them:

I purchased 2 tyres GP4000s, 25c. Bike and me weigh 65kg. I searched your web and could not find a tire pressure chart.

Please advise what is the best pressure for the front and rear tire.

Thank you.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf
sourced from:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html

any help?

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
65 kg = 143 lb.

40/60 F/R split.

Tks for reply.

Do you have the above article?

I'm quite light weight. 60kg + 7.5kg (bike)=67.5kg (or say 150 lb). According to chart, the optimum is abt 63 psi. That is quite below your advise and way below the general consensus here of 95 to 100psi.

I change from 23c to 25c after reading many articles that 25c reduces rolling resistance. Now I begin to wonder if the pressure is so low, will I actually benefit from using 25c.

http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

Top Bottom