What tyre pressure for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

Tks for reply.
Tire show min 100psi to max120psi.

Your recommendation is way below the min. Still ok?

There is a certain amount of marketing in manufacturer's recommended tire pressures. It is popular belief that simply running high pressures will make your wheels faster, thus quoting higher recommended pressures makes the tire more appealing to the mass market. In reality, traction and control count as much as rolling resistance. Whereas I'd question some of the low pressures quoted in this thread, that may simply be because I've been brain washed by advertising.

ayceejay

Guru

AndyPeace

lol, from the same web site
"It is impossible to make a general recommendation on inflation pressure for a specific bike and rider, the right inflation pressure depends on too many variables.
Frame and wheel material, construction and stiffness of these, weight distribution, asphalt surface, width and material of tires and tubes, weather and temperature, and not least riding style are the most important variables to find which is the right inflation pressure."

though they also quote me as needing 85/90 psi front/rear, for mixed road conditions... below the recomended inflation pressures on their road tires. I assume it's for 23's as it only gives the option of road/mtb and not tire width. I guess it's time to experiment!

screenman

Legendary Member
m I the only one who pumps them up until they feel right, I suppose it is an age thing as pressure gauges have not always been around as much. I must add that my 3 track pumps all have gauges on that vary slightly, hence another reason why I use the feel method that seems to serve me well.

^^ ditto ^^ FWIW You must be a very light rider (I think me and the bike would weigh 69 or 70kg) but I pump my tryes up once a week or so (nothing regemented) to 105psi rear and 95psi and ride, if the surfaces look greasy/ icy I don't bother topping up and they cand fall to circa 70psi rear/ 60psi front. That doesnt cause me a problem some heavier riders might encounter p'ture problems but you are lighter again so could probably run lower psi's again but as Rob3rt say's
Just pump the f***ers up and go ride on them!
;)

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom