What volcanic ash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive got a stanley knife :laugh: but hardly any trousers to cut up :thumbsup:
I always carry so much equipment, i travel very light with clothing, even counting how many pairs of socks and undies i need...and carry only what i need.
So if i make shorts (or buy any)...ive only got work boots or black shoes...and black socks. Not a very fetching proposition is it :smile:
Washing work clothes is ok, just do them by hand with shampoo....but my 'decent' clothes are going to be minging soon :tongue:

No, i'm going to (depending on the travel restrictions) recommend i stay here and work. The time will be well used.
To be fair, the cost to the companys just escalating all the time.
Decent hotel (mind ive stayed in some muckholes), expenses, car hire, my wages, then heaven help them if anything goes wrong back at my normal work, then they've got to start getting contractors in...and the extra cost that involves.

Arch

Married to Night Train
arallsopp said:
Stay. Ask work to contribute towards the additional expense of keeping the wife happy whilst you finish the project. You have friends in Munich, so its the cheaper option, but you feel duty bound to help work if you can. :laugh:

Or, chuck the wife out of the accommodation....:thumbsup:

Sorry.

I'd be pretty edgy too, I fret when everything's going to plan!

Just shows how we've become reliant on flying. There was something on the radio earlier about all the airfreighted fruit and veg that's rotting in warehouses in Africa, and farmers who won't be able to sell their harvests (and you can't live on green beans and salad leaves, no matter how much you like them). And this stuff is so 'last minute ripe' that it can't even be refridgerated and shipped. Madness.

I wonder, when it's all back to normal, if anyone will think about what they'd do in case of it happening again, or whether it'll just go back to how it was.

There was a very entertaining nutter on Any Answers, reckoned Gordon Brown ought to be 'doing something'. Not sure what. I think he meant laying on a ship to bring his nephew home from New Zealand.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Arch said:
Just shows how we've become reliant on flying. There was something on the radio earlier about all the airfreighted fruit and veg that's rotting in warehouses in Africa, and farmers who won't be able to sell their harvests (and you can't live on green beans and salad leaves, no matter how much you like them). And this stuff is so 'last minute ripe' that it can't even be refridgerated and shipped. Madness.

I wonder, when it's all back to normal, if anyone will think about what they'd do in case of it happening again, or whether it'll just go back to how it was.

Yes - air feight is Global warming madness and ought to be stopped really.

But it will carry on when the wind/volcano changes. Longer term I suppose some materials research work might solve the problems with current airframe/engine technology. But that depends on mid-long term research which usually isn't top priority with businesses like airlines.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's easy to say, sat here unaffected, but it's... not nice, but... well, interesting to see how easily we are knocked off our perches by Mother Nature. I mean the people of Bangladesh, or Haiti will have known already, but here we are, utterly unable to DO anything about it.

And this isn't even a volcano that's killed anyone, as far as I know.

I wonder what'll happen when Vesuvius goes again. Which is way overdue. An Italian friend told me that none of the scientists who study Vesuvius will live in Naples....

longers

Legendary Member
They're talking about looking at thinking about talking about starting flights tomorrow but this could go on for a long while yet couldn't it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
They're talking about looking at thinking about talking about starting flights tomorrow but this could go on for a long while yet couldn't it?

And who's going to want to be on a flight until it's really clear? You want to take a chance on lossing ALL engines at once?

Last time it kept erupting for 2 years, and apparently the thing that's causing the ash is the amount of glacial ice - when it hits the lava, the lava does a sort of 'freeze/thaw' shattering which is why it's such nasty sharp dust. And there's loads of glacial ice left...

And then it might set Katia off...

longers said:

There is evidence in the geological records of volcanoes erupting for decades

Don't worry the wind will change in a week or so and there will be a mad scramble to get everything airborne - if it did continue to erupt in this manner it would be interesting to see how our world would change

longers

Legendary Member
psmiffy said:
There is evidence in the geological records of volcanoes erupting for decades

That's what I was thinking, and about wind direction.

I don't know what the stag do are up to as my phone is broke but the original idea of a bit of scrambling and some Jennings in Cumbria seems like a good choice. In hindsight.

Top Bottom