What volcanic ash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

It is a bit weird here in Leicester, we're right under one of the large air corridors that take aircraft from the sorthern half of Europe and London up to Scotland before heading off over the Atlantic. Usually the sky is a mass of white lines and at any time you can look up and see 2-3 aircraft, but today, absolutely clear.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
still no planes here. They come in every 90 seconds as a rule.

longers

Legendary Member
I ummed and ahhed about going on a stag do somewhere in abroadshire this weekend and missing a rather busy time at work.
I'm glad I haven't been sat at an airport wishing I was at work!

Crankarm

Guru
All we need is another freak freeze tonight stopping all Eurostar trains as happened when there was heavy snow. Then the French ports at Calais, Boulogne and Cherbourg would go on strike with the SNCF train drivers, the truckers and the autoroute staff. Result - paralysis of the whole transport system.

Reminds me of the excellent film Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Stephenite

Membå
On Thursday the Finns decided to send two F-18s up into the ash cloud to see what all the fuss was about. Apparently, after a short trip the air-intakes were covered in (quote) potatoflour-like stuff, and this has made its way into the engines and melted.

2akmf4o.jpg

11qmp1k.jpg

20s7leq.jpg

Makes one think if you were travelling through the cloud in an airliner for any length of time you would truly be 'finnished' :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
hackbike 666 said:
Remember it's metal on metal.No i don't really understand this leaves thing but it happens.

I don't know a lot about driving cars but doesn't a lot of leaves on the road make it slippery between car tyre and tarmac?

Except that a car doesn't happen to be several hundered tons.
The leaves are mushed up into ...well much, and this reduces teh natual adhesion between the wheel and the railhead.

Notwork Fail sprays the likes of Sandite (sand oddly enough) to help the trains gain traction.

Or something like that.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
TheDoctor said:
Oooooookay.
Mind you, I once worked with a plane buff, who collected a souvenir from every flight and kept them in an album.
A sick bag.
Not used, obviously, because that would be strange...

Oh man you have no idea!!

There is a thing with enthusiasts where they all have to photograph their meals/snack, and, get this, there is a guy in the U.S. who collected everything to do with an ...um ....DC8 or sommat, including all of the catering dishes, and then had someone who makes fake food for museums, make a full airline meal from the '60s for him!

Recording numbers suddenly seems VERY tame in ccomparison.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Browser said:
Smallest with, guessing, Isle Of Wight?
P.s. I don't know if it was just the last remnant of winter or the volcanic ash, but sunrise this morning had an unusual yellow glow around it and it was blummin' cold, 2.9 deg C.

I would say Mull, but that's a naarrow gauge railway, but there is a standard gauge line on one of the Channel Islands (I kid you not). Guernsey ...or is it it Alderney ...or is it ...anyway, it's one of those.

They use and industrial shunter and an old London Underground set in push pull formation.

Oh yes and the sunset was crap here!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
PaulB said:
I don't want to spread concern or forecast doom but didn't the last ice-age begin in the same circumstances? A volcano spewed out ash for several weeks at a critical time of year. The sun couldn't get through, the weather went colder than normal, crops failed and hundreds of thousands of people died. Still, never mind, eh?

Time to get the Curling stones out again then, WOOHOOO!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom