What volcanic ash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The engines cut out, but the wind passing through them kept them turning enough to keep the hydraulics working so the Pilot could keep control although gliding down.
Just heard on the news that there will no BA flights from Heathrow after 12.00 this morning due to the ash. Will Willy Walsh and his management team now try to sue the Icelandic goverment for loss of revenue for not being able to control it's natural forces?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The BA story is genuinely hair-raising and I expect every airline executive and engineer has read it and shuddered, hence the paranoia over this one.

I knew somebody who was in the 'plane, he said he genuinely expected to die. He's dead now anyway but that was self-inflicted through a lifetime of smoking, booze and fornication.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hover Fly said:
But it was well after sunset in Jakarta, so it would be dark.

oh, didn't pick up on that.:biggrin:

It's still a half arsed illustration though, clearly being a cut out of a jumbo stuck on a black background....:biggrin:

surfgurl

I love the quote on the wiki page about BA Flight 9. Captain Moddy described the landing as "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse".

It's all pretty scary stuff. Have just heard on BBC News the Vice-Chairman of the British Lung Foundation, apparently lots of people are worried about respiratory problems.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
Are you on some sort of day trip to a restored 1940s RAF command bunker?:biggrin:

*puts on tin foil helmet and sticks tongue out at Andy*:biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the skies are clear over Streatham. By which I mean that we haven't got the usual procession of planes. Can we have one of these every week?

Crankarm

Guru
Chrisc said:
You wont see anything, the dust is up at 55,000ft and very fine but it stops plane engines in their tracks.

Do planes fly on tracks up there :biggrin:?

It all sounds a bit like the "leaves on the line" excuses from the rail companies.

Still UK CO2 emissions will be greatly reduced for today :biggrin:.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you ever get the chance to watch the documentary about BA9 take it. Landing a 747 with fecked instrumentation and sandblasted windows must have been a gas.

Top Bottom