What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oops I got that wrong. It should have said tax evasion. As tax avoidance is perfectly legal (to point). No "they" do not think tax avoidance is good, it's legal so clearly they should not be doing anything about it. Tax evasion is illegal. You have no idea how much Joe blogs with the van is earning. Nor is the taxman in any hurry to catch him. They get caught because someone bubbles them. Another Joe blogs.
Tax avoidance is legal but is it ethical? Easy to go after the small man and make a lot of noise but little tax return. Better to go after the big ones and get much more dosh but the old pals act forbids such common sense ideas.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Muslim women wearing veils won't look so odd.
People who are used to going about the place unharassed will have got a small taste of what it is, to be viewed with suspicion.

Those who are used to going wherever they like, when they like, will maybe have had a tiny glimpse of their movements being restricted by forces beyond their control.

Drago

Legendary Member
People who are used to going about the place unharassed will have got a small taste of what it is, to be viewed with suspicion.

Those who are used to going wherever they like, when they like, will maybe have had a tiny glimpse of their movements being restricted by forces beyond their control.
That's a very narrow, UKcentric view of affairs.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Tax avoidance is legal but is it ethical? Easy to go after the small man and make a lot of noise but little tax return. Better to go after the big ones and get much more dosh but the old pals act forbids such common sense ideas.
Basically yes it is ethical. Although there is a law about you overdoing it. There is no such thing as old pals act. The tax man has no pals when comes to paying your taxes. They always go after the big evaders first. The fact the big evaders are a better at hiding it makes harder for them to catch....obviously.

Income tax allowance £12,500

Starter saving tax allowance £5,000 (if you don't use all your income tax allowance and reduced by the amount you do)
Your allowance applies to interest from:

bank and building society accounts
savings and credit union accounts
unit trusts, investment trusts and open-ended investment companies
peer-to-peer lending
trust funds
payment protection insurance (PPI)
government or company bonds
life annuity payments
some life insurance contracts

Personal savings tax allowance £1000

Capital gains tax allowance £12,000

Looks okay to me if your on a low income

Opps forgot dividend tax allowance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

Notafettler

You appear to be happy with the oppression of Muslim women. Wearing a veil is oppression, it is a belief that women are inferior to men.
The left screamed and shouted when catholic women wear expected to wear a scarf in church.
The left are happy with the much more extreme Muslim oppression of women.
Can you tell me why?? I am interested to know.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Basically yes it is ethical. Although there is a law about you overdoing it. There is no such thing as old pals act. Your talking bollocks. The tax man has no pals when comes to paying your taxes. They always go after the big evaders first. The fact the big evaders are a better at hiding it makes harder for them to catch....obviously.
You need to move on from your lefty "I hate the rich" it is just so sad.

Income tax allowance £12,500

Starter saving tax allowance £5,000 (if you don't use all your income tax allowance and reduced by the amount you do)
Your allowance applies to interest from:

bank and building society accounts
savings and credit union accounts
unit trusts, investment trusts and open-ended investment companies
peer-to-peer lending
trust funds
payment protection insurance (PPI)
government or company bonds
life annuity payments
some life insurance contracts

Personal savings tax allowance £1000

Capital gains tax allowance £12,000

Looks okay to me if your on a low income
Nowhere did I say I was a lefty and hate the rich. The taxman can only get tax on what is available but shifting money around to evade tax is legal but not to my mind ethical. Does the fact that I disapprove of the very rich not paying a fair share into the revenue make me a bad person?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You appear to be happy with the oppression of Muslim women. Wearing a veil is oppression, it is a belief that women are inferior to men.
The left screamed and shouted when catholic women wear expected to wear a scarf in church.
The left are happy with the much more extreme Muslim oppression of women.
Can you tell me why?? I am interested to know.

It's my understanding that oppression or control is not the true religious significance of wearing a headscarf - although if an oppressor wants to oppress he will use whatever tools he can find..

I could try to explain the background, to it all, but it would only be coming from my white westernised non Muslim woman's viewpoint, and some of the nuance, finer points, and context would be lost.

I was similarly curious / conflicted around this issue, I even felt a bit the same, as you did.

So I'd recommend a book called "It's not about the burkqa"
An anthology of writings by Muslim women, who are feminists, oppose patriachal oppression / misinterpretation of the tenets of Islam, but whom also choose to wear a traditional head covering of some sort.

Edited by Mariam Khan.
I'd recommend it. :okay:

I guess a close but not altogether parallel analogy might be how I feel about going topless in public.

In some cases and situations I will go shirtless.

In others, where a man might take his top off, I will keep mine on.

This could be said to be down to social, or cultural pressure, or oppression even, because it is the traditional norm.

If I don't keep my top on in certain situations I risk unasked for attention, hostility, lewd remarks or stares, or misinterpretation, of my motives.

As I say it's not a perfect analogy, but just one example of our covering certain parts of our bodies at certain times because we feel more comfortable that way.

There are other precautions I have to take, as a woman, when I go off travelling, and camping by myself for example, which would probably never cross the minds of most guys.

And these precautions, and fears that they are based on, are entirely down to the fact that some men ( not all - but enough) have very little, or no respect for the freedoms and rights of women to go about their lives unmolested.

I hope this helps

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

It's my understanding that oppression or control is not the true religious significance of wearing a headscarf - although if an oppressor wants to oppress he will use whatever tools he can find..

I could try to explain the background, to it all, but it would only be coming from my white westernised non Muslim woman's viewpoint, and some of the nuance, finer points, and context would be lost.

I was similarly curious / conflicted around this issue, I even felt a bit the same, as you did.

So I'd recommend a book called "It's not about the burkqa"
An anthology of writings by Muslim women, who are feminists, oppose patriachal oppression / misinterpretation of the tenets of Islam, but whom also choose to wear a traditional head covering of some sort.

Edited by Mariam Khan.
I'd recommend it. :okay:

I guess a close but not altogether parallel analogy might be how I feel about going topless in public.

In some cases and situations I will go shirtless.

In others, where a man might take his top off, I will keep mine on.

This could be said to be down to social, or cultural pressure, or oppression even, because it is the traditional norm.

If I don't keep my top on in certain situations I risk unasked for attention, hostility, lewd remarks or stares, or misinterpretation, of my motives.

As I say it's not a perfect analogy, but just one example of our covering certain parts of our bodies at certain times because we feel more comfortable that way.

There are other precautions I have to take, as a woman, when I go off travelling, and camping by myself for example, which would probably never cross the minds of most guys.

And these precautions, and fears that they are based on, are entirely down to the fact that some men ( not all - but enough) have very little, or no respect for the freedoms and rights of women to go about their lives unmolested.

I hope this helps
I am not sure where you get head scarf from. I am talking about veils. Including veils where you cannot even see the woman's eyes. Even covering there hands with black gloves. There is no choic it is oppression end of story.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Nowhere did I say I was a lefty and hate the rich. The taxman can only get tax on what is available but shifting money around to evade tax is legal but not to my mind ethical. Does the fact that I disapprove of the very rich not paying a fair share into the revenue make me a bad person?
Yes you are evil, you hate anyone who has more money than you.....only joking!
Evade tax, that's says it is illegal. You mean avoid? Not sure how shifting money around helps you avoid tax? Maybe you could complain/moan about companies like Amazon.
Anyway your moan was about taxman picking on white van man. He does nothing of the sort.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
One thing that I have been wondering about is whether supermarkets will ever remove the plastic shields that they have been installing at checkouts? It would be a good idea to keep them.

I'd be bloody annoyed if I worked at a checkout, had the screen removed, then somebody in a queue coughed or sneezed on me and I got ill.
They serve another purpose as well. That being to protect the staff, on the tills/checkout, from irate members of the public. Best demonstrated in recent weeks since stores introduced limits on the amounts that could be bought.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

They serve another purpose as well. That being to protect the staff, on the tills/checkout, from irate members of the public. Best demonstrated in recent weeks since stores introduced limits on the amounts that could be bought.
The other purpose won't exist in the future obviously. There will be no limit in the future you will be able to buy as many loo rolls as you want. And when my neighbour asks me to get her 12 tins of sweetcorn for her chickens I won't have to go to 3 supermarkets to get it (only managed 10)

classic33

Leg End Member
The other purpose won't exist in the future obviously. There will be no limit in the future you will be able to buy as many loo rolls as you want. And when my neighbour asks me to get her 12 tins of sweetcorn for her chickens I won't have to go to 3 supermarkets to get it (only managed 10)
I'll tell that to the checkout operator who had a bottle smashed over her arm last year. All she did was ask for proof of age, a legal requirement.

And on a personal note, if I end up in A&E again due to a customer getting irate because they can't get what they want due to the card being declined, I'll hold that thought in mind.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

I'll tell that to the checkout operator who had a bottle smashed over her arm last year. All she did was ask for proof of age, a legal requirement.

And on a personal note, if I end up in A&E again due to a customer getting irate because they can't get what they want due to the card being declined, I'll hold that thought in mind.
Still don't see them staying there as they wouldn't stop anyone getting irate and probably still being able to get at the assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom