What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Notafettler

How about replacing the screens on ticket machines at railway stations with a type that can trigger without your finger actually touching the screen! It should be made possible to detect when a finger is a couple of cms from the surface rather than having to touch where hundreds of other potentially virus-ridden passengers have touched before you...
Oh god it's not like we are going to have pandemic every year. I certainly dont want any machine to take money off me because I happen to be near. If you are that worried wear a glove.

classic33

Leg End Member
As we become a more and more cashless society there will be a larger and larger increase in tax received by the taxman without any increase in the tax rates. Builders beware!!
Cash will always be there, just a possible change in the method of card payment.

Cavalol

Guru
A lot of the pubs/clubs/eating places won't be coming back, imho. If the government gave them the money (rather than it being a loan/with interest) then fair enough, but that's not going to happen.
We can forget all about these 40 new hospitals/20,000 coppers (that wouldn't have happened anyway) as we'll be told there isn't any money for them. Companies will issue pay freezes and the fight to the bottom will become very real.

Cavalol

Guru
They've been after the cash people for a while. The campaign reminded me of the one at the time over people going to France and filling their vans with fags and booze, all of a sudden these people were gang masters and people smugglers etc. Almost entirely nonsense, of course, the government just didn't want to lose tax money. If some fat bloke with a Transit van running on cherry doing a bit of window cleaning or moving couches for someone is making the odd tenner to keep his family fed, bloody good luck to him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh god it's not like we are going to have pandemic every year. I certainly dont want any machine to take money off me because I happen to be near. If you are that worried wear a glove.
I'm talking about having to physically touch a big screen 20-30 times to go through various menus to select a journey/type of ticket. The machines already have contactless card readers for payment.

When you think about it, touching such a public screen is roughly equivalent to having 200 people cough on their hands, pick their noses, not wash their hands after toilet visits etc. and then wipe their hands on yours. No thanks!

We actually DO have pandemics every year which kill thousands of people - flu, colds etc., but they just fizzle along in the background ignored by most of us.

I'm saying why introduce new technology which makes transmission of infection easier rather than more difficult!

classic33

Leg End Member
Wrong only 2% of transactions by value are made with cash in Sweden and it is falling rapidly. Finland is close behind. They are both expected to be come cashless society's.
Which has almost wiped out the black economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/03/sweden-cashless-future-sounds-alarm-bells-for-the-central-bank.html
I'm not in either of those countries, so I'm not talking about either.

Same "argument" has been running for over a quarter century now. Yet cash is still here.

Edited to add,
Sweden had an in increase of 7% of printed currency in circulation in 2018.

That 2% by value equated to 40% by volume, and hasn't returned to that level since. Currently sitting at just over 42% by volume.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Notafettler

They've been after the cash people for a while. The campaign reminded me of the one at the time over people going to France and filling their vans with fags and booze, all of a sudden these people were gang masters and people smugglers etc. Almost entirely nonsense, of course, the government just didn't want to lose tax money. If some fat bloke with a Transit van running on cherry doing a bit of window cleaning or moving couches for someone is making the odd tenner to keep his family fed, bloody good luck to him.
I doubt that anyone who "smuggled" a few sleeves of cigarettes and 20 or so bottles booze back was a major criminal on the other hand if they filled a van full then they clearly were criminals. And when that source of money ran out moving onto people smuggling was an obvious next move. There is not a set limit to the amount of cigarettes or booze you could bring back from Europe, as long as it was for your own personal use. I was stopped with 80 sleeves of cigarettes and they could do nothing about it.
Gang master is not illegal, it's a job description/name of a person who organizes and supplies farm labourers for vegetable crops cabbage, Brussels sprouts etc.

" Transit van running on cherry doing a bit of window cleaning or moving couches for someone is making the odd tenner to keep his family fed" The odd tenner? A bit unlikely it wouldn't pay for the transit van. Do you think everyone working in the black economy is earning the odd tenner? You appear to be implying or assume that the government is using digital payments to catch tax avoidance? People are making the decision to become cashless it just so happens fiddling your taxes is very difficult when everything goes through your bank account.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

I'm not in either of those countries, so I'm not talking about either.

Same "argument" has been running for over a quarter century now. Yet cash is still here.
I don't believe the argument has been running for 25 years. Year in year out people in the uk are using cash less and cards more. It is matter of time. And it is accelerating rapidly. The amount of atm is also falling rapidly without them where will you get your cash?
Cash will always be there, just a possible change in the method of card payment.
"Cash will always be there"
"The horse will never be replaced by the car"

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't believe the argument has been running for 25 years. Year in year out people in the uk are using cash less and cards more. It is matter of time. And it is accelerating rapidly. The amount of atm is also falling rapidly without them where will you get your cash?
The bank where the account is held. If needs be, all in one go. Done it before and I'd not hesitate doing it again.

And if like now, the ATM's refuse to "hand over your cash", where do you go. We've lost seven ATM's in the town centre in the last year, with another nine planned to be removed this year.

Then there's the power failures, no ATM machine will work.

"Cash will always be there"
"The horse will never be replaced by the car"
And what do you use when the petrol is hard to get hold of?

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

The bank where the account is held. If needs be, all in one go. Done it before and I'd not hesitate doing it again.

And if like now, the ATM's refuse to "hand over your cash", where do you go. We've lost seven ATM's in the town centre in the last year, with another nine planned to be removed this year.

Then there's the power failures, no ATM machine will work.

And what do you use when the petrol is hard to get hold of?
Do what at the bank? Demand they give you all your money? Cash they haven't got?
As I said atm are disappearing therefore you will have to use a digital form payment to buy goods.
"Cash will always be there" no it won't
"The horse will never be replaced by the car" irony, didn't you get it?

classic33

Leg End Member
Do what at the bank? Demand they give you all your money? Cash they haven't got?
As I said atm are disappearing therefore you will have to use a digital form payment to buy goods.
Withdraw every penny from the account, done before* and I'd have no hesitation in doing it again. That bit should be easy enough to understand.

*Try it and see if you get all your money in cash, no cheques.

We've fallen back on doing accounts by hand, on pen and paper when there's been a power issue. In the shop it was cash only when the system crashed, which is a lot more frequent than you might think.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Has any bank to date ever refused to give cash to someone because they didn't have it?
ATM are disappearing? Erm, no. They are not. https://www.psr.org.uk/psr-focus/access-to-cash/uks-atm-network

Whilst cash use is falling, understandable given the amount of options technology has provided to make us part with our cash, it still represents a large amount of transactions. Cash may never ALWAYS be with us, but there is no point i can see in any of our lifetimes that it will simply be gone altogether. What we have at present are lots of options for the economy to transact with wealth. Nothing more...

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Has any bank to date ever refused to give cash to someone because they didn't have it?
ATM are disappearing? Erm, no. They are not. https://www.psr.org.uk/psr-focus/access-to-cash/uks-atm-network

Whilst cash use is falling, understandable given the amount of options technology has provided to make us part with our cash, it still represents a large amount of transactions. Cash may never ALWAYS be with us, but there is no point i can see in any of our lifetimes that it will simply be gone altogether. What we have at present are lots of options for the economy to transact with wealth. Nothing more...

Yes, banks keep a very limited amount of money. If you go in asked for £10 no problem £5,000 no chance, probably be lucky if you could get £2,000. Book it in advance yes. But in future NO.

Again only 2% of transactions by value are in cash in Sweden. We will be the same wherever you like it or not.

Erm yes they are
Around 3,000 cash machines have vanished from UK streets in the last six months of 2018, fuelling concerns that cash is under threat – with one award-winning disability blogger warning she relies on cash for her independence.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02/thousands-of-cash-machines-disappear-from-uk-streets-over-2018/ - Which?

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/8149...contactless-disappearing-from-uk-high-streets

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
The 2% figure, by value/40% by volume you keep quoting hasn't been equalled since the date of that report. Is only the one country, which has seen an increase in the actual amount of cash put into in circulation since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom