What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
<snip>
When you think about it, touching such a public screen is roughly equivalent to having 200 people cough on their hands, pick their noses, not wash their hands after toilet visits etc. and then wipe their hands on yours. No thanks!
<snip>
It's for that very reason where possible, I use a knuckle to press lift, ATM, etc., buttons. Not ideal, but I think better than using a finger tip.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I had decided that the garden was interfering too much with my cycling time
I like this way of thinking.

Cavalol

Guru
I doubt that anyone who "smuggled" a few sleeves of cigarettes and 20 or so bottles booze back was a major criminal on the other hand if they filled a van full then they clearly were criminals. And when that source of money ran out moving onto people smuggling was an obvious next move. There is not a set limit to the amount of cigarettes or booze you could bring back from Europe, as long as it was for your own personal use. I was stopped with 80 sleeves of cigarettes and they could do nothing about it.
Gang master is not illegal, it's a job description/name of a person who organizes and supplies farm labourers for vegetable crops cabbage, Brussels sprouts etc.

" Transit van running on cherry doing a bit of window cleaning or moving couches for someone is making the odd tenner to keep his family fed" The odd tenner? A bit unlikely it wouldn't pay for the transit van. Do you think everyone working in the black economy is earning the odd tenner? You appear to be implying or assume that the government is using digital payments to catch tax avoidance? People are making the decision to become cashless it just so happens fiddling your taxes is very difficult when everything goes through your bank account.

I'm not implying the government are using digital payments to catch tax avoidance, I'm implying they want people to go cash less because they're missing the tax from Mr Odd Job and his mates. However they try and dress it up (by pretending everyone doing it is a major criminal) the actual truth is different.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

I'm not implying the government are using digital payments to catch tax avoidance, I'm implying they want people to go cash less because they're missing the tax from Mr Odd Job and his mates. However they try and dress it up (by pretending everyone doing it is a major criminal) the actual truth is different.
I think you are contradicting yourself there "I'm not implying the government are using digital payments to catch tax avoidance, I'm implying they want people to go cash less because they're missing the tax from Mr Odd Job and his mates" Clearly you are contradicting yourself.

Furthermore the government has never had anything whatsoever to do with the move towards a cashless society. The consumer is doing that of his own volition (word of the day).

Why do you constantly believe the government (taxman) is after the "poor lhe little man" common sence says they will always go for the big tax avoidance first. A better use of resources resulting in a higher tax take.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member

interesting view at which point £ wise do you think it becomes a crime worth dealing with ? Bearing in mind at this point in time I am glad that both of our businesses put everything through the books and pay our taxes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Given that China appears to be recovering remarkably quickly if we can believe their figures, is there any chance of them taking advantage of the devastation in other countries and attempting takeovers of important businesses and industries to achieve global dominance? Bit of paranoia setting in on my part maybe! :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One thing that I have been wondering about is whether supermarkets will ever remove the plastic shields that they have been installing at checkouts? It would be a good idea to keep them.

I'd be bloody annoyed if I worked at a checkout, had the screen removed, then somebody in a queue coughed or sneezed on me and I got ill.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Given that China appears to be recovering remarkably quickly if we can believe their figures, is there any chance of them taking advantage of the devastation in other countries and attempting takeovers of important businesses and industries to achieve global dominance? Bit of paranoia setting in on my part maybe! :laugh:
Possible as they have the equivalent of sovereign wealth fund. Has been used to buy land in ...Sudan which they (Sudanese) could not afford the infrastructure to irrigate. I think it was Sudan and the water was coming from dams on the Nile. Which is really pi**ing of Egypt.

We should of course remember that China supplies parts to manufactures who don't want/need them at the moment,. So being able to start work again for a lot of China won't be of much use.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... common sense says they will always go for the big tax avoidance first. A better use of resources resulting in a higher tax take.
common sense says they 'should' go for big tax avoidance but the reality is quite the opposite, i believe. They have this wonderful little excuse... tax avoidance = good. tax evasion = bad.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

common sense says they 'should' go for big tax avoidance but the reality is quite the opposite, i believe. They have this wonderful little excuse... tax avoidance = good. tax evasion = bad.
Oops I got that wrong. It should have said tax evasion. As tax avoidance is perfectly legal (to point). No "they" do not think tax avoidance is good, it's legal so clearly they should not be doing anything about it. Tax evasion is illegal. You have no idea how much Joe blogs with the van is earning. Nor is the taxman in any hurry to catch him. They get caught because someone bubbles them. Another Joe blogs.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

One thing that I have been wondering about is whether supermarkets will ever remove the plastic shields that they have been installing at checkouts? It would be a good idea to keep them.

I'd be bloody annoyed if I worked at a checkout, had the screen removed, then somebody in a queue coughed or sneezed on me and I got ill.
I hope they will remove them
The coronavirus will die out probably via a vaccine. Move on they do not happen every year. We shouldn't be living in constant fear. People are not in the habit of coughing or sneezing on the check out assistant. Your are also clearly ignoring the fact that the screens do not rap around the check out assistant. I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about being with in 2 metres of another person. An extension of your views on screens

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

A neighbour was on the princess the week prior to the coronavirus outbreak. Due to previous outbreak of another virus they were not allowed to enter the dining room without washing their hands. If people tried to avoid doing so because of queues a man stopped them and insisted they go back and wash their hands. In the toilets there was paper which was used to turn the door handle with a bin outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom