What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Clearly if you don't have a garden then that won't be the case. And you can still make sure your neighbours are ok and offer to get essential goods from the shops.
Clearly but you said get to know which would suggest interaction on the streets, not just going shopping

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I said in my previous post there's little doubt that the fall out for business will be massive. There does though seem to be an increasing number that are doing their best Ratner impression's right now too, I do hope, with the caveat that remaining staff are protected, that people's memories are long enough to remember them when this is all over.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

I am not convinced. For a start the money that will have to go in baling out the economy and paying people to stay at home *might* have been spent on say wall insulation or electric car charging posts. Also, if you work at home, you have to heat your home during the day, possibly air conditioned on summer days. So instead of heating or air conditioning one big office, you heat or air condition one smaller office and a lot of homes.
Many good points there. Possibility of loneliness as well?

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Income tax will increase massively to pay for it. The age at which you receive state pension will rise by at least two years. The value of your private pension will be considerably lower than you'd expected. The unemployment level will be several millions. Some football clubs will go out of business. Surveillance on us will increase massively. There will be more restrictions on the freedoms we previously took for granted. Young adults will get more illnesses and the bad ones like TB will be on the increase; this will be due to the children of today being unable to be in each other's company and they will consequently miss out on getting the usual childhood illnesses and therefore having no resistance to them in the future. The selfish will be more selfish. There will be a very worrying rise in the incidence of mental illness.
Oh my god so depressing. Particularly the children bit it's not forever.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I am not convinced. For a start the money that will have to go in baling out the economy and paying people to stay at home *might* have been spent on say wall insulation or electric car charging posts. Also, if you work at home, you have to heat your home during the day, possibly air conditioned on summer days. So instead of heating or air conditioning one big office, you heat or air condition one smaller office and a lot of homes.

You don’t have to heat your home through Spring / Summer / Early autumn

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure it will ultimately affect me much. It'll be fascinating to see how things settle down afterwards, whether business, the government and society at large learn any lessons and modify their behaviour.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

The current situation demonstrates that Supermarkets will remain dominant. They have the critical mass, supply-chain infrastructure and supplier leverage that small independents will not.
still on the whole the cheapest and most convenient shopping method for the masses. There will be no return to the 1940’s except in some niche communities.
Independent convenience stores are now all part cooperatives and are quite competitive. If I am in one town near me I go to the independent one first then to the larger coop. The independent convenience store is cheaper.
My views is that the large supermarkets will close a large amount of there supermarkets because people are moving more and more towards home delivery. The coronavirus has accelerated it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Independent convenience stores are now all part cooperatives and are quite competitive. If I am in one town near me I go to the independent one first then to the larger coop. The independent convenience store is cheaper.
My views is that the large supermarkets will close a large amount of there supermarkets because people are moving more and more towards home delivery. The coronavirus has accelerated it.

Nope home delivery hasn‘t accelerated. The infrastructure for it is exactly the same as February and January. Besides even if it did, you’d just have the home delivery format stores that exist around London. The stores are still there, laid out pretty much the same. But are populated by pickers going round in optimised routes instead of shoppers.

gbb

Legendary Member
For me certainly and I suspect many others, wages have been held back for years, I think I have had three rises in nearly 10 years. No chance of there being one for a while now. I reconcile it with the fact (assuming my company respect my salaried position) that I am in self isolation which will ultimately cost the company £1200 ish, so I shouldn’t expect one this year.
In the shorter term, there are going to be lots of people looking for short term work, if it’s manual you are after, the food industry has found it harder to attract people so there will be opportunities out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom