What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
With so many people currently working from home, hopefully many will realise just how pointless their previous long commute was, and will continue to work from home as much as possible and/or consider new jobs closer to home.

So just possibly future Governments might be less likely to be pushing building new roads and instead building better local environments for people to live and work and ride their bikes.
...and recognise that building vanity infrastructure rail links, which don't address the need to improve existing connections, aren't required.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The COVID19 crisis started because a few people in China ate bats. The HIV/AIDS crisis started because people in Africa ate monkeys. Perhaps the World Health Organization will campaign to stop people eating non-domesticated animals that carry diseases that they don't have any resistance to?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sudden overwhelming urge to flee with minimal possessions (in your luxury campervan) in the face of an (relatively minor) existential threat??

But at the same time why on earth don't these refugees, and asylum seekers stay in their own (truly terrifying) home countries, and tough it out there ??

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

The COVID19 crisis started because a few people in China ate bats. The HIV/AIDS crisis started because people in Africa ate monkeys. Perhaps the World Health Organization will campaign to stop people eating non-domesticated animals that carry diseases that they don't have any resistance to?
Bats? I doubt it and there's no evidence to suggest it. Bats are carriers of vast amount of viruses including bubonic plague. Bats aren't on anyones list of yummy yummy bats in my tummy. Meat minimal.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Can't find anywhere to post this. Daughter was made part time with the appropriate cut in wages. Then they cut her wages by another 20%. Then put most of the staff on furlough on 80% wages. So she has to do 4 peoples jobs on part time wages minus 20%. Her partner lost all his self employed work wiring new Lidls. Her nursery wants her to continue to pay fees even though they are closed.
She won't stop whinging!!

AndyRM

XOXO
Creative "industries" are f*cked. That's all I've got to contribute really, but it does directly affect me, my sister, and several of my friends.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

...and recognise that building vanity infrastructure rail links, which don't address the need to improve existing connections, aren't required.
HS2 is not a vanity project. Its designed to deal with the overcrowding on the rail network and reduce the need for new road building. It also a very good project for reducing carbon emissions. If we going into to a recession (highly likely) monetary policy has run out options, so HS2 is an obvious fiscal stimulus. As usual people go on about saving the environment by cutting road use but not if it effects them.

If we're going to slap wrists for crazy ideas that had far-reaching consequences, we should probably include BSE.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Her nursery wants her to continue to pay fees even though they are closed.
My daughter's been told that her graduation ball is off - understandably enough - but they're not getting any refunds. So the company that was going to hire the hall, pay staff, provide food, etc is doing none of that, but still plans to keep all the money.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
HS2 is not a vanity project. Its designed to deal with the overcrowding on the rail network and reduce the need for new road building. It also a very good project for reducing carbon emissions. If we going into to a recession (highly likely) monetary policy has run out options, so HS2 is an obvious fiscal stimulus. As usual people go on about saving the environment by cutting road use but not if it effects them.
If it had used energy-saving technologies and been ground-breaking, eg maglev, then I would agree to all that Nota, but putting it outside the major conurbation termini was a mistake- connections still have to be made. It's a badly managed money-eating project and the construction companies involved to date can't believe their luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom