What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't know what will happen, but what I HOPE for:

A simpler life where people don't want 20 different pasta, 10 varieties of tomato and so on.

• A great community spirit in blocks of flats and urban streets
  • A move back to the country as urban jobs dry up (hospitality and some retail) and villages revive with a influx of new British farm labourers.
  • More self reliance, fix and mend less of buying the latest and greatest.
  • I do hope travel returns as that can counter nationalism when you see other cultures are very similar in many ways to your own.
Not a wish, but a reflection - the major religious institutions have been very quiet where is their response? Maybe I missed it.
Different shapes of Pasta are needed for different sauces, I wouldn't cook a Carbonara with 'shells' or Macaroni with 'twists'. :becool:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I firmly believe we need / deserve a significant house price correction, however the powers that be clearly think the opposite and do everything they can to maintain rampant house price inflation.

DCIhiN2.jpg

former BoE supremo Mark Carnage & mate

I’ll take this opportunity to out myself as a long-time cheerleader (if that’s the right word) for a crash, long since fallen into the savings trap.

Some of this is repeating what some areas went through 19 years ago. Whole areas closed off, no entry to open countryside.

We also flashed back to those times. It happened just before we moved out to the sticks, so we weren’t particularly affected, but we soon found ourselves surrounded by the survivors.

A4nJSuZ.jpg

Keep your hooves away from your face, dear

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
I forgot to mention in my previous post.
Assuming they survive.....
Little Donnie Twump will still be an oversized and terminally stupid toddler, BoJo will still play the fool and Reece-Smug will still be an upper class twat.

DRM

Guru
Honest things change. The fact that delivery is available proves that. More and more people are buying there food shopping online and will continue to. Eventually they will start closing shops. And why are you quoting me in the cheap Chinese handle bar thread?!
Chinese handlebars, no idea how that happened, I don’t think supermarkets will close stores as the delivery model has proved it can’t cope, plus there’s the added cost of fuel, VED, insurance, van leasing & clean air zones being implemented, add to that humans never learn, we will all go back to how it was pre coved 19

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Lots more preppers. Not the loony right wing tooled up ready to repel marauding hordes preppers (like me), but normal folk keeping several months worth of food and supplies at home.
I have 4 kilos of wholemeal pasta. All bought (and more besides) before the coronavirus even hit China. Bought nothing for stocking up although I tried to restock my 12 litres of long life milk, which ran out at an inappropriate time. Ended up just changing my milk man order. 6 bottles of extra fat heart attack gold top milk instead of 3.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Probably foot and mouth if I remember correctly.
Only on woodland about 8 years ago.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
By the way what happened 19 years ago??
Probably foot and mouth if I remember correctly.
Yes - the 2001 outbreak.

My new mountain bike was on order and it didn't arrive until after the outbreak had started so I didn't get the chance to go offroad on it for over 6 months due to all the bridleways being closed.

I went on a road cycling holiday to Spain in March 2001 with a friend. When we retrieved our bike bags at Alicante airport we were waylaid by security guards and ordered to unpack the bags. The local TV and press were in attendance and filmed us being made to wheel the "bicicletas sucias de bastardos ingleses" through disinfectant baths! They also tried to make us throw our fruit and sandwiches in a bin, so we just stood there and ate them! :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If we're all spending our time entirely with people we already know, will casual sex decline?

And thus higher %age of births be within relationships?

(or maybe with lots of offices on skeleton staff, all that space will lead to more office "romance" ... :smooch:)

Do you only have 'formal' sex with the people you know well?

Evening attire, and 'courtly' introductions..

That's very respectful of you :okay:
Different shapes of Pasta are needed for different sauces, I wouldn't cook a Carbonara with 'shells' or Macaroni with 'twists'. :becool:
Absolutely, these are fine Italian food traditions..
Not to be trifled with..
The Pen is mightier than the sword?

I'm hoping all this will lead to a rebalancing of priorities in life.

Health services, social care, education, in all their senses being reprioritised.

A massive reduction in the cost of housing, would help.

So people have more money, and time for the really important things in life.

And when folks do go back to work, why not a four day week being standard to earn enough to live on??

For years now there's been too many people overworked and stressed.

Whilst another massive cohort languish, equally stressed in other ways through underemployment, feeling a bit useless, and poorly resourced.

Surely we could have sorted this disparity out years ago if we'd wanted.

And oh look, suddenly we maybe don't need to charge around in our cars / aeroplanes quite as much as we used to think was absolutely essential.

(apart from a few numpties 'fleeing' with all of the other numpties, to the Lake District or Wales or wherever)

Maybe as we will have to rebuild large parts of our supply, and economy, we could do it a bit differently.

Make it greener, and just as much for people and planet.. Not just profit.

Food system resilience, or lack of it, is being brought home to us right now.

We could choose not to allow chlorinated chicken in from you know where..

And grow lots more of our own.. :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom