What will the long term effects of the virus? Will something never be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Notafettler

My daughter's been told that her graduation ball is off - understandably enough - but they're not getting any refunds. So the company that was going to hire the hall, pay staff, provide food, etc is doing none of that, but still plans to keep all the money.
Yes but they have the money already. That nursery hasn't so they can go get f*cked.
I suspect that firm can be sued but I doubt they will and they are probably working on that basis.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes but they have the money already. That nursery hasn't so they can go get f*cked.
I suspect that firm can be sued but I doubt they will and they are probably working on that basis.
Absolutely. I suspect there's going to be quite a lot of this kind of trying it on going on. Chaotic times are easily exploitable by the utterly unscrupulous.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
HS2 is not a vanity project. Its designed to deal with the overcrowding on the rail network and reduce the need for new road building. It also a very good project for reducing carbon emissions. If we going into to a recession (highly likely) monetary policy has run out options, so HS2 is an obvious fiscal stimulus. As usual people go on about saving the environment by cutting road use but not if it effects them.
If only Beeching hadn't been allowed to decimate the rail system, the 'Great Central' would still be in operation not to mention all the small stations and branch lines. :cursing:

AndyRM

XOXO
Why? Or how?

Money, basically. My sister for example, a professional musician, doesn't have guaranteed work until September.

The tattoo artists I go to have had to close their studios.

I've had to close my own design studio.

But this goes beyond that. Theatres, cinemas, multi-venues big and small are shut down.

This has a huge impact.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes..... but what I want to know is how you manage to type wearing those massive great gardening gloves? I’m really impressed with your dexterity.

I have a very dainty nose.. :rolleyes:

Money, basically. My sister for example, a professional musician, doesn't have guaranteed work until September.

The tattoo artists I go to have had to close their studios.

I've had to close my own design studio.

But this goes beyond that. Theatres, cinemas, multi-venues big and small are shut down.

This has a huge impact.

There are a lot of petitions and campaigns going around to get support for the self employed right now.

Hopefully we will hear something soon.

It seems very in just, after years of being told to go out there, set up a business and forge your own path, to then be left hanging, at a time like this.

The Gov could be making more reassuring noises at least.

A lot of my friends and acquaintances are self employed, one way or another, and now have pretty much nothing to live on.

I'm lucky that one of my businesses (food growing) can't keep up with demand right now.

But yoga classes have had to stop, so no income from that.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion as to what comprises 'essential' self employed work.

You'd think someone might have been tasked with working all this out beforehand as some kind of 'Health disaster preparedness scheme'

Oh well, the brassica beds call once more..
:hello:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Bats? I doubt it and there's no evidence to suggest it. Bats are carriers of vast amount of viruses including bubonic plague. Bats aren't on anyones list of yummy yummy bats in my tummy. Meat minimal.
The latest thinking is that the virus jumped from bats to another host before infecting humans. However there were actually bats for sale in the market were the virus originated.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/cor...another-host-before-infecting-humans-who.html

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I assumed that thing she's holding in the avatar pic is some kind of stylus?

Yes, of course...
And this is my phone screen.. :wacko:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Absolutely. I suspect there's going to be quite a lot of this kind of trying it on going on. Chaotic times are easily exploitable by the utterly unscrupulous.

Small Claims Court ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
HS2 is not a vanity project. Its designed to deal with the overcrowding on the rail network and reduce the need for new road building. It also a very good project for reducing carbon emissions. If we going into to a recession (highly likely) monetary policy has run out options, so HS2 is an obvious fiscal stimulus. As usual people go on about saving the environment by cutting road use but not if it effects them.

Not convinced.

If you were to allocate £50Billion or whatever it is to railway infrastructure (broadly "a good thing"), it is highly unlikely you'd choose spend it on HS2 if you were looking at return on investment. You could do loads of signalling and track improvements across the piece rather than shaving 10 minutes off the time from Manchester to London which is arguably irrelevant for most people.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The COVID19 crisis started because a few people in China ate bats. The HIV/AIDS crisis started because people in Africa ate monkeys. Perhaps the World Health Organization will campaign to stop people eating non-domesticated animals that carry diseases that they don't have any resistance to?

Wasn't Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from people eating cows?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Wasn't Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from people eating cows?

It was from cows eating cows,
(and sheep - CFJ is closely related to scrapie in sheep) Slaughterhouse waste used* to used to 'beef' up protein in animal feed.

Also there's a good chance it wasn't helped by routine use of organophosphates* as pour on warble fly dressing etc (nerve poison, and destroyer of blood/ brain barrier) which allowed the prion protein of CFJ to get into the brains of cows in first place.

*these practices have since been discontinued thankfully

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My daughter's been told that her graduation ball is off - understandably enough - but they're not getting any refunds. So the company that was going to hire the hall, pay staff, provide food, etc is doing none of that, but still plans to keep all the money.
We had an awards event arranged for the 13th March. We had to cancel it the day before. So we lost the cost of the Hotel booking (fair enough) but also lost £10k on the food bill. Our boss asked if we could give all the food to the homeless shelter, or take some for staff just so it wasn't wasted, but they wouldn't let us. So they either binned the lot (doubtful) or served it to more paying customers the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom