What's an "entry-level" bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
My view on entry level, a marketing term for a road bike thats good enough to train or even compete on, perhaps called entry level to try and encourage cyclists to upgrade or buy more expensive bikes in the hope of improved performance.
For most cyclists (myself included) entry level would be all they require and perhaps the best performance improvements could be made in the kitchen rather than on there bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
My view on entry level, a marketing term for a road bike thats good enough to train or even compete on, perhaps called entry level to try and encourage cyclists to upgrade or buy more expensive bikes in the hope of improved performance.
For most cyclists (myself included) entry level would be all they require and perhaps the best performance improvements could be made in the kitchen rather than on there bike.
Maybe some people like to have (in their opinion) better looking / better [more expensively] specced / different branded / lighter bikes or whatever regardless of their own 'cycling performance' (whatever that might mean, unless you're a pro trying to win every race) or indeed their shape/size/weight

I'll never be a high performance racing snake, but that won't stop me spending £3k maybe more on a bike in the future (as long as I can justify the outlay to myself, which is ultimately all that matters). I'm also not interestied in 'training' (for what?), or riding with a club and certainly not racing. For me (and I'm sure many other cyclists) it comes down to just enjoying riding my bike and hitting whatever meaningless (to anyone else) personal targets I may choose to set myself.

You might want to train or race, but really don't assume that everyone who rides a road bike (drop handlebars, skinny tyres, or just a bike that can be ridden on the road, i.e. any ;) ) wants the same.

Yes, 'entry level' is marketing / magazine review bollocks and will mean something different to every person (or indeed nothing)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I just laugh at all the "serious" cyclists who refuse to use anything less than £2/3/4 thousand carbon fibre machines but are absolutely terrified to actually leave them unattended anywhere even for a few minutes in case they get smashed up or stolen.
These 'serious' cyclists do not hear your laughs, or if they do, either misinterpret them for gasps of admiration or have no idea why you're laughing (you: the one with a rubbish 'out of the skip' bike).
In case you take this the wrong way, please note all our family's 'around town' bikes are 'renewed' from our excellent local recycling centre (aka 'the tip'), who normally charge £12 or £15 for a very serviceable bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
There is nothing below entry level. That’s the point ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
if you're referring to useable bikes you're correct. However, there is a level below proper bikes, and that is where the BSO comes in, especially the worst kind of full-sus flashy looking & very heavy MTB.
Those aren’t what the marketeers and journalists refer to as ‘entry level’ however.
Those are BSOs

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I scrapped one of those TFS1 contraptions a couple of weeks ago after stripping everything salvageable off it. The wheels & tyres were like new but the chain was rusted into a solid lump, so the rider probably gave up on it after their very first outing and dumped it in their garden. Not only was it probably the worst full-sus junk BSO I have ever seen, it was also finished in the most vile shade of pink I've ever seen.

Top Bottom