What's an "entry-level" bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
It seems bikes under the £1k category are "entry-level". What makes them so? So what if they have a sora drivetrain instead of something "higher" up?

I would go so far as to say the more expensive bikes are "entry-level" because they are (I think?) more comfortable? The frames are smoother to ride, more bump absorption, etc. The comfortable ride would suit the starter bike rider.

In contrast, the cheaper bikes are for more experienced riders since they will ride everywhere, lock it up on the street, and so on. And take messengers for example, their bikes all seem "entry-level" but I think they are well thought out, reliable, reasonably cheap to replace if anything goes wrong. Those guys have it sussed. I'm hankering after the cheapest bike I can get away with, not the most expensive that I can afford.

Entry-level bikes is the language of journalists. That's got me thinking about "entry level" journalism. :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Entry level is anything with a spec (not price) below mine!

hoopdriver

Guru
A Colnago C60 is a good start. I found a pair of deep-section carbon stabiliser training wheels on eBay for mine, got some sparkle streamers for the bar ends and a ding-dong bell, and with my Disney character helmet I was quite the hit at the Bikeabiity class...

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^^ yep, marketing hype for 'Please buy this bike instead of our competitor's if you are dazzled by the choice and don't want to spend silly money'.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It's the base model/spec for that particular manufacturer which all tend to be around the £500 to £1500 mark.
A base Giant can be had for £599, and a base Pinarello (Neor) is say £1400.

rrarider

Veteran
In a way, it's a shame that technology for bikes has moved on so much. Back in the 1980s an appropriate term for a low quality mount was "gas-pipe bike".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In a way, it's a shame that technology for bikes has moved on so much. Back in the 1980s an appropriate term for a low quality mount was "gas-pipe bike".
Back in the 30s bikes were advertised as having 'Best quality gas specification tubing', it meant that the tubing used was seamless drawn pipe and was the best you could get.

The badge of an experienced London rider used to be the hack bike, something disguised with cheaper components and paintjob to make it look less good than it actually was, so safe enough to lock up on the street.
I regard "entry level" as a step up from BSO, a bike good enough to ride everyday.

I was always assumed 'entry level' was a description purely related to bikes good enough to race and be competitive on. The bare essentials of frame, wheels and components that wouldn't hold back a rider who wants to race and do well. A very subjective opinion on what would make a good race bike given a limited budget, but something a good journalist with some racing background could write about. But a meaningless term when used in relation to general everyday cycling.

Tim Hall

A cycnic might think "entry level" is a marketing ploy to tempt the unwary buyer into buying the bike the next level up in the hierarchy. An unscrupulous manufacturer could then ramp the price up of this bike, as the punters go flocking to it, for little additional cost. See also "buying the second cheapest wine" in a restaurant.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's the base model/spec for that particular manufacturer which all tend to be around the £500 to £1500 mark.
A base Giant can be had for £599, and a base Pinarello (Neor) is say £1400.

Oh dear, my steed is a Giant Escape 1. At £499, I do not even scrape into entry level .... I shall crawl away quietly,

Even worse, Mrs @BoldonLad has a Liv at only £399.... I am such a cheapskate!

Last edited:
Top Bottom