What's an "entry-level" bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
£100 Bike challenge, Just seen this bit of fun about £100 bike challenge, thoughts on them, entry level or bso? Enjoy.

The road bike I was most impressed with. and It actually looked like a proper bike too - I regard modern aero bikes and carbons as plain ugly and don't think they even look like proper bikes.... The MTB was OK, if you accept it's going to be slower and heavier than the road bike. The Schwinn was just a toy the weight of a tank a bit like a Raleigh Chopper - not a serious bike. The Pashley trike was a bad choice because it is specifically a utility/cargo carrier, not because it was a bad bike. Just the wrong bike for the job.

Maenchi

StoneDog
when was the tag 'entry level' invented ?.....entry to what ? ..... the carlton wins by a country mile but i'm biased I used to have one ....a pro-am, silver with chrome forks, bought in '79 for £150 new........(GCN vid was hoot ! ):santa:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Oh dear, my steed is a Giant Escape 1. At £499, I do not even scrape into entry level .... I shall crawl away quietly,

Even worse, Mrs @BoldonLad has a Liv at only £399.... I am such a cheapskate!
My Favourite bike cost me £150 so even less than 'entry level' then.
If I want to ride to Norwich, I take that bike. If I want a nice ride, I take that bike. It's the easiest one to get to as he lives in the hallway. He's the one that I would weep for a week if anything bad happened to.
The £1000 carbon jobbie with it's upgrades, I can take or leave nowadays.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Because i could afford to buy a Pinarello Dogma and a Specialized Stumpjumper Elite this year, does that mean they are 'entry level' ??

To some people yes

davidphilips

Veteran
My Favourite bike cost me £150 so even less than 'entry level' then.
If I want to ride to Norwich, I take that bike. If I want a nice ride, I take that bike. It's the easiest one to get to as he lives in the hallway. He's the one that I would weep for a week if anything bad happened to.
The £1000 carbon jobbie with it's upgrades, I can take or leave nowadays.

You have hit the nail on the head, well said, entry level is just a marketing term, for me anyway a bike thats used is far better whatever the price or age than a bike thats not used whatever the price badge or name given to it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Where does a 25 year old £20 second hand bike fit into this then? That's actually my most expensive used bike. My cheapest bought S/H (if you ignore junkers obtained purely for donor parts) was £10!

davidphilips

Veteran
Where does a 25 year old £20 second hand bike fit into this then? That's actually my most expensive used bike. My cheapest bought S/H (if you ignore junkers obtained purely for donor parts) was £10!

John, As long as your £20 bike is used then its a good bike no mater what any marketing term is applied, have fun and enjoy thats what cycling is al about.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You have hit the nail on the head, well said, entry level is just a marketing term, for me anyway a bike thats used is far better whatever the price or age than a bike thats not used whatever the price badge or name given to it.
To be fair, when my favourite bike was built, in 1982, it was probably a lot more than £150. It's a DB Cycles (Dronfield) hand built jobbie. I :wub: him far more than anyone ought to love a bike.

Top Bottom