What's been a backwards step in technology for you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
These, where the lead comes out of the top of the plug, so that they don't fit more than one in a 3-way adaptor or in a 6 way (3x2) block - very helpful.:angry:

midlife

Guru
Very probably - I used to have an Audi - the pneumatic central locking went wonky once and that cost a bundle to fix - luckily I wasn't paying.

Is that the system thieves opened with a tennis ball with a slit in it? Slit over the lock, bang the tennis ball.?

Is that the system thieves opened with a tennis ball with a slit in it? Slit over the lock, bang the tennis ball.?
Don't think so.

The system inside the car was pneumatic (maybe they all are) - loads of plastic tubes with various connectors - but it was actuated by the remote key. I assumed the fault was caused by a leak somewhere as from my minimal peering, the initial actuation seemed to be happening - I do remember the bill for such a tiddly thing being mind boggling - I didn't pay as it was a company car.

midlife

Guru
Don't think so.

The system inside the car was pneumatic (maybe they all are) - loads of plastic tubes with various connectors - but it was actuated by the remote key. I assumed the fault was caused by a leak somewhere as from my minimal peering, the initial actuation seemed to be happening - I do remember the bill for such a tiddly thing being mind boggling - I didn't pay as it was a company car.

Ha! Checked with snopes and its a fake story going back to at leat 2007

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-unlock-car-door-tennis-ball/

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Keyless entry on cars. You've now got to put a huge physical lock on the steering wheel to stop it from being stolen.
Cars from before keyless were easy to steal as well I believe so what is the problem? Anti theft devices have been around long before keyless.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Talking to a machine when you phone an organisation and having to key in loads of numbers before given the chance to talk to somebody, if you are lucky.
Even if you do get to talk to somebody, they are probably only giving you 5% of their attention because they are busy updating their facebook profile or swiping left/right on Tinder. (How else can one explain a call centre worker repeatedly insisting that a cremated parent be brought to the phone to close their account? :wacko:)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't get me started on those feckin' things. What idiot thought it would be a good idea to have the lead coming out of the wrong end?
Someone whose power sockets were fitted too close to the floor?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I refuse to ever press buttons if I have to make a call (I rarely do), if I press nothing I get through to an 'advisor.'

Drago

Legendary Member
Bit like open heart surgery, civilisation survived millenia without it, oh & penicillin yeah we survived without it long enough.
The difference is that people died without heart surgery, penicillin, and that sort of stuff. No one one died from living their lives without a smartphone - lack of Faecesbook or Just Eat isn't usually fatal.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
20 years ago i worked citrus packing machines, relatively simple in principle, capable of packing 35 packs per minute and could last 10s of millions of packs (with regular maintenance and occasional breakdowns of course).
20 years later and two generations of machines later, they are infinately more complex, infinately more expensive to repair and maintain, take a lot more maintenance, are far far more complex to fault find on, far far more spares required to keep them running, more expense....and they perform the same task, at the same rate the first generation of machines did.

A triumph of marketing and increasing their profitability through complex, high maintenance machines.

20 years ago i worked citrus packing machines, relatively simple in principle, capable of packing 35 packs per minute and could last 10s of millions of packs (with regular maintenance and occasional breakdowns of course).
20 years later and two generations of machines later, they are infinately more complex, infinately more expensive to repair and maintain, take a lot more maintenance, are far far more complex to fault find on, far far more spares required to keep them running, more expense....and they perform the same task, at the same rate the first generation of machines did.

A triumph of marketing and increasing their profitability through complex, high maintenance machines.
How do they sell them? What do they claim is better?

Top Bottom