What's been a backwards step in technology for you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Oh yes. Yes. Yes, 100%. Who thought this was the way forward?

I think touch screen car controls should be banned as a safety hazard. Granted you could feasibly setup voice control for the controls in a car, but then do you really need a touchscreen to do that? No.

Again, I'm no retrogrouch, but really who thought up the idea that touch screens without any form of tactile response were a good idea for controls such as heater or blower fan in a large and heavy moving object that demands concentration? Did they ever test what happens when you are driving and you want to adjust the heat, blower fan, etc? I don't say this very often, but it's stupidity at its finest and a definite step backwards.

Maybe I'll sound old, but what exactly was wrong with those tactile knobs and buttons?
Marketing department thought of that.
Oh yes. Yes. Yes, 100%. Who thought this was the way forward?

I think touch screen car controls should be banned as a safety hazard. Granted you could feasibly setup voice control for the controls in a car, but then do you really need a touchscreen to do that? No.

Again, I'm no retrogrouch, but really who thought up the idea that touch screens without any form of tactile response were a good idea for controls such as heater or blower fan in a large and heavy moving object that demands concentration? Did they ever test what happens when you are driving and you want to adjust the heat, blower fan, etc? I don't say this very often, but it's stupidity at its finest and a definite step backwards.

Maybe I'll sound old, but what exactly was wrong with those tactile knobs and buttons?
Marketing thought it was a good idea (hey my phone has a touch screen!). And the accountants thought getting rid of physical buttons would save a few pence. The CEO got impressed (what clever people I've hired) - I'll just sign this through and take the credit!
No offence to and marketers, accountants, CEOs, and anyone related to the industry. :smile: Well, you did screw this one up didnt you? :smile:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yes, the brighter lights we now see on cars can swamp indicator lights, if both are close to each other. It seems headlights, and even side lights, are brighter, but not indicators. Of course this is not such a problem now that only I and a dozen other drivers in the UK bother to indicate.
Also, remember in the old days when you manually switched on the side lights then the interior instrument cluster lit up and that was a good indication that your lights were on? And anyone who looked at their speedometer at night would not be able to see much and realise they forgot to switch on their lights.

Well these days the cars have lit up instrument clusters so you need a small indicator to show that you have your headlights on. Most cars have auto lights but I'm not sure why yesterday I saw 4 cars in 5 minutes with no lights on.

weareHKR

these days the cars have lit up instrument clusters so you need a small indicator to show that you have your headlights on. Most cars have auto lights but I'm not sure why yesterday I saw 4 cars in 5 minutes with no lights on.
There is an indicator light within the instrument panel on all cars, just like the main beam, engine management etc, however, auto lights & wipers in mine are an option, they can be turned off if you so wish.
Problem is I don't think people bother to read the manual to find out how to operate these things, I even see people in new cars with steamed up windows when they have aircon or climate control fitted!
It's not the technology it's the operators!

D

Deleted member 26715

There is an indicator light within the instrument panel on all cars, just like the main beam, engine management etc, however, auto lights & wipers in mine are an option, they can be turned off if you so wish.
Problem is I don't think people bother to read the manual to find out how to operate these things, I even see people in new cars with steamed up windows when they have aircon or climate control fitted!
I agree with you, but I do think lighting up the instruments when you turn on the ignition is another retrograde step, I often see cars coming out of supermarket car parks which have lots of floodlights without their lights on because they can see clearly & because the instrument panel is lit up they assume their headlights are on, I know there is a little green light symbol but it not being lit is not obvious.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yes it is the operators and not the tech but I would say the tech is not designed "well enough". Many people are accustomed to having an interface where a lit-up dashboard implies "lights are on".

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Smartphones.

Mobile phones, not a fan, but I understand some people dig being able to talk to other people wherever they may be.

But smartphones? If I want to use a computer ill sit at a computer with a proper screen, decent keyboard and decent processing power. None of my online needs are sompressing, urgent, or uncontrollably sad that they can't wait.

So I don't have one, don't feel the need, and don't feel im missing out.
Totally agree, despite having 2 smart phones... the old Galaxy Ace is my phone and not smart enough to run any apps these days, the other, a Note 3 is little more than a remote control for my PC when i'm not sat in front of it.

weareHKR

Yes it is the operators and not the tech but I would say the tech is not designed "well enough". Many people are accustomed to having an interface where a lit-up dashboard implies "lights are on".

I agree with you, but I do think lighting up the instruments when you turn on the ignition is another retrograde step, I often see cars coming out of supermarket car parks which have lots of floodlights without their lights on because they can see clearly & because the instrument panel is lit up they assume their headlights are on, I know there is a little green light symbol but it not being lit is not obvious.
Totally agree with you both, I must admit though my Ford is 6 months old & the instrument panel doesn't light up until the headlights are actually on, even though the DLR's are on. Perhaps they have changed the configuration! :thumbsup:

• The obsolescence of morse-code communication. There are some situations where its use is still relevant.

My cub pack can send and receive messages in morse and semaphore.

We figured they'd learn how to e-mail at school or from parents / older siblings so set out to do the communications badge in the 'most archaic way possible'

Top Bottom