What's going on with my bread maker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Not quite baguettes, but I have used the "french bread" recipe in my bread maker. The bread is delicious, but like proper baguettes bought in France, it has a very short shelf life. As in eat the same day, and living on my own that is just greed - but I manage! I did try freezing half a loaf, but it's just not the same.

Recipe for the french option @Cuchilo :
400 gms strong flour.
1 teaspoon yeast.
1 teaspoon salt.
15 gms butter.
300 ml water.
Note there is no sugar, and it takes 6 hours in the breadmaker. Results are worth the wait though :hungry:.
Have you tried mixing this in the breadmaker and then kneading by hand, then baking in the oven?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have you tried mixing this in the breadmaker and then kneading by hand, then baking in the oven?
That's an option, but sounds too labour intensive for a lazy git like me. Think of the extra washing up too! :ohmy:

stephec

Legendary Member
That's an option, but sounds too labour intensive for a lazy git like me. Think of the extra washing up too! :ohmy:

I used to do it just to try and get a proper baguette shape, but it never had that crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside texture.

Does that recipie do it, I read somewhere that proper french bread is cooked in an oven where it's sparyed with water as it's cooking?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I used to do it just to try and get a proper baguette shape, but it never had that crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside texture.

Does that recipie do it, I read somewhere that proper french bread is cooked in an oven where it's sparyed with water as it's cooking?
The bread maker version is good. Gives a similar taste and texture to a french baguette but obviously in the shape of a traditional loaf. No water spraying going on in my (basic) bread maker.

stephec

Legendary Member
The bread maker version is good. Gives a similar taste and texture to a french baguette but obviously in the shape of a traditional loaf. No water spraying going on in my (basic) bread maker.

I might have a go at it then, have you tried making a half measure if you don't want to waste any?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I might have a go at it then, have you tried making a half measure if you don't want to waste any?
Not possible with a bread maker as the menu options are all pre-programmed, e.g. mixing and baking times can't be adjusted. There are menu options for small/medium/large loaves, but that's all. Recipes I have posted are all for the small option, but even so they are on the big side.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Says the man from INVERCLYDE! :ohmy:
At least we stick to partners with only two legs :thumbsup:.
PS... Dunno why I'm sticking up for Ayrshire since I am after all, a Brandane (native of the Isle of Bute). I just live here to save on ferry fares. :smile:

That's why I get the nickname 'Spiderbob'...

While the abuse is flowing, my life went downhill in North Ayrshire..
I met the woman who would have me in shackles the rest of this life whilst at the Moorings..
Largs has a lot to answer for...

On another note, breadmaking recipe thread would be good..
I use my breadmaker to make my 30%30%30% loaf...luvvly jubbly it is to:thumbsup:

oh and Lidls bread flour I find is ace but maybe a bit underneath some of you North Ayrshire hoity toities:rolleyes:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
What's "Lidls"?
If it's a shop, we have staff for that sort of thing. Peasant. :smile:
You only have a Morrisons, chippies and pubs

In Inverclyde we have Sainsburys and M&S...

beat that hoity toity person...
Staff ? I'll beat you with a staff..

stephec

Legendary Member
Not quite baguettes, but I have used the "french bread" recipe in my bread maker. The bread is delicious, but like proper baguettes bought in France, it has a very short shelf life. As in eat the same day, and living on my own that is just greed - but I manage! I did try freezing half a loaf, but it's just not the same.

Recipe for the french option @Cuchilo :
400 gms strong flour.
1 teaspoon yeast.
1 teaspoon salt.
15 gms butter.
300 ml water.
Note there is no sugar, and it takes 6 hours in the breadmaker. Results are worth the wait though :hungry:.
I made this earlier today, and very nice it is. :smile:

Just one thing though, the top's collapsed and I can't remember the cause. Can anyone enlighten me please?

IMAG0180.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
For normal bread, I just use the recipe out of the book that came with the machine:
400 gms strong flour.
0.75 teaspoon yeast.
1 teaspoon sugar.
1 teaspoon salt.
15 gms butter.
280 ml water.
Fling all the above into machine, select menu number 1, press start and wait 4 hours (or set timer for whenever you want bread to be ready).
That one worked well and pretty much the same as mine but using butter instead of oil and milk powder .
Results where yummy with my left over stew :mrpig:

001_zpsddbac86d.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I made this earlier today, and very nice it is. :smile:

Just one thing though, the top's collapsed and can't remember the cause. Can anyone enlighten me please?

View attachment 61769

The great god google says you may have used a bit to much yeast causing the bread to rise more than usual, hence the reason it slumped a bit. i'm being good here. I hope your realise that.:laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
You opened the door to have a peek while it was still baking ? You did didn't you :laugh:

No peeking going on, I learnt that lesson a while back.

[QUOTE 3380853, member: 259"]Too much liquid or the flour's not very good. Just try adding a bit less water.[/QUOTE]

It was fresh flour, so possibly the water.

The great god google says you may have used a bit to much yeast causing the bread to rise more than usual, hence the reason it slumped a bit. i'm being good here. I hope your realise that.:laugh:

I've heard you're good. :biggrin:

I normally get my yeast right though, once it's risen it doesn't flop at all

Top Bottom