What's going on with the cyclist in this image?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
[QUOTE 4056915, member: 45"]As I understand it the lighting regs only apply to lights attached to a bicycle, so you can stick all sorts of flashy/overbright things over your body that don't meet the regs.

That's beside the point here though as the cyclist has nothing attached to their bike.[/QUOTE]
At the risk of starting one of 'those threads', the lighting regulations allow you to attach any manner of light to the front of your bike, so long as it is white, does not flash in an illegal pattern, and does not dazzle. I suspect the same applies to things attached to you, your bag, helmet, etc. So I'm still not sure why this would be sensible, except someone trying to economise or getting caught out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4056915, member: 45"]That's beside the point here though as the cyclist has nothing attached to their bike.[/QUOTE]
How can you tell? There could be a slow-but-legal flashing light which was in the "off" phase when the picture was taken, most likely towards the right grip or the top of the head tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4056993, member: 45"]Could be. Can't see one though.[/QUOTE]
Can't see either way, but there are dark blobs there which could be anything.

I dislike flashing lights, but they are legal and at least they avoid people being able to look at a photo of a cyclist and condemn them fairly :laugh:

Top Bottom