Whats happened to RIBBLE ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just get them from Spa?
I had a look at Spa and they do have what I want but I have to penny-pinch for another few months until I get my state pension, so I was looking for even lower prices. It will be SO nice in the New Year not having to spend hours trying to save a few quid every time I order something.

I bought a camera a couple of years ago and did more than 20 hours of searching to save... just over £20. I was effectively valuing my time at around £1/hour! :wacko:

ColinJ

Not Ribble,
I was in Spa Cycles Harrogate on Saturday the guy serving (who was new to me) told me they ordered 60 pair of Shimano Brifters and got only six, plus disc brakes in short supply, he put in an order for a cassette for a time trialist, and they gave him a delivery date of March 2022?
I said you won't be selling many bikes then, he said they were selling loads as people were not prepared to wait and were compromising on parts.
I went into a bike shop in Todmorden a few weeks ago. Normally they would have about 50 bikes in there. I could only see 2 or 3!

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
I tried to get a Trek 520 from the Trek Dealers in Sheffield ... April 22 they cheerfully told me .... bye bye said I ... maybe i should have taken up their offer ..

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a look at Spa and they do have what I want but I have to penny-pinch for another few months until I get my state pension, so I was looking for even lower prices. It will be SO nice in the New Year not having to spend hours trying to save a few quid every time I order something.

I bought a camera a couple of years ago and did more than 20 hours of searching to save... just over £20. I was effectively valuing my time at around £1/hour! :wacko:
Well if no one cheaper has what you need…

Last year Ribble something like 3,000 bike orders that they couldn't send out because they had no inner tubes!!!

Ribble have been sold and are in the process of moving from Walton Summit to a posh new emporium in Clitheroe.
when were they sold?
The "clitheroe" site has been open a bit, complete with signature smell or whatever.
It's not actually in clitheroe - it's on a retail/light industrial park in/outside barrow - near macdonalds etc and screwfix.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I have some part used but fine plain stronglight ones in a drawer in the bike palace I think. - what size are you after?

ColinJ

I have some part used but fine plain stronglight ones in a drawer in the bike palace I think. - what size are you after?
It's nice of you to offer, but I actually already have a spare 130 BCD Stronglight ring. The problem is I need a 135 BCD (Campagnolo style) one. (I'm assuming that yours are 130s?)

Actually, I probably don't need a replacement ring at all (yet)... I have just been out on my singlespeed bike and after only 5 km of riding with the swapped ring, the troublesome noise returned so it looks like the worn original ring was not to blame after all!

I can't figure out how swapping the ring could stop the noise, but it then returns after a couple of short rides to the shops and back... :wacko:

I used to ride out to Ribble shop on a Saturday morning on Preston docklands in the 80s when it was a proper bike shop
before they went digital they had some good gear nothing around could match there range Castelli/high end campag stuff etc

They do some good looking frames.

I used to ride out to Ribble shop on a Saturday morning on Preston docklands in the 80s when it was a proper bike shop
Careful!!! @Blue Hills will be along shortly to tell you the shop wasn't in Docklands but was actually on Marsh Lane. But we all know where you mean.
When Terry Dove owned it the shop was a good place to go. Lots of decent stuff at reasonable prices, and if you went out of primetime you could talk to the guys and get advice.
Rising staff costs and overheads killed all that - and not just for bike shops.

Top Bottom