Whats happened to RIBBLE ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Careful!!! @Blue Hills will be along shortly to tell you the shop wasn't in Docklands but was actually on Marsh Lane. But we all know where you mean.
When Terry Dove owned it the shop was a good place to go. Lots of decent stuff at reasonable prices, and if you went out of primetime you could talk to the guys and get advice.
Rising staff costs and overheads killed all that - and not just for bike shops.
When was it sold?

You can't have my Ribble, nah na na nah na !
I have 3, my main day-to-day/commuter being a (series 1) CGR
It replaced a (blue 7005), the 'winter/audax' as they call it.................. which are surprisingly good frames for the price, & handle very well
The other is a Gran Fondo, that my dear wife bought as a 50th birthday present for me (it was cheaper than a Gretsch, or a TVR Griffith 500)

'Blue' & the 'GF' barely move nowadays :blush:

I considered selling 'blue', but ended up using it, after a 'mechanical' with my CGR

I still may sell it though
(or the Ridley, whose furthest move in 6 years is from a spare bedroom, to the attic)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's nice of you to offer, but I actually already have a spare 130 BCD Stronglight ring. The problem is I need a 135 BCD (Campagnolo style) one. (I'm assuming that yours are 130s?)

Actually, I probably don't need a replacement ring at all (yet)... I have just been out on my singlespeed bike and after only 5 km of riding with the swapped ring, the troublesome noise returned so it looks like the worn original ring was not to blame after all!

I can't figure out how swapping the ring could stop the noise, but it then returns after a couple of short rides to the shops and back... :wacko:

Are you getting 'grumbling' from the drive chain. If running 'evens' on sprockets or chain rings on single speed, the chain wears to the link, and if you move the chain on one tooth, it grumbles like a miserable old man. My fixie was 'evens' so I had to remember to move the chain on one tooth every so often so it didn't happen.

T4tomo

Guru
It's nice of you to offer, but I actually already have a spare 130 BCD Stronglight ring. The problem is I need a 135 BCD (Campagnolo style) one. (I'm assuming that yours are 130s?)

Actually, I probably don't need a replacement ring at all (yet)... I have just been out on my singlespeed bike and after only 5 km of riding with the swapped ring, the troublesome noise returned so it looks like the worn original ring was not to blame after all!

I can't figure out how swapping the ring could stop the noise, but it then returns after a couple of short rides to the shops and back... :wacko:
Yes 130 or 110 BCD, but defo not 135 campag

Odd noises are weird! chain ring bolt - was tight and worked loose again on short rides?

I have a clicking pedal that only clicks under pressure - one double click per pedal crank revolution, I got myself convinced it was the toe strap buckle last night, but it clicked with that removed. I may commit a heinous sin and put some some spare keo pedals on a vintage bike and ride it in posh shoes with pink laces, rather than period appropriate ones...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Rubbles customer service, or more to the point, complete lack of said service was the reason I vowed never to deal with them again several years ago.

Looks like nowts changed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you getting 'grumbling' from the drive chain. If running 'evens' on sprockets or chain rings on single speed, the chain wears to the link, and if you move the chain on one tooth, it grumbles like a miserable old man. My fixie was 'evens' so I had to remember to move the chain on one tooth every so often so it didn't happen.
I suppose wide/narrow rings put paid to that problem? The bike I bought for my Devon holidays is the first one that I have owned with a w/n ring and it caught me out for a few seconds when trying to put the chain on.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
has @Landsurfer got his new bike yet or have ribble left the building.....
No bike ! ... constant waffle and and excuses from live chat, customer service ( an oxymoron if ever there was one ) and i’ve just called the Clitheroe shop and the staff member would not confirm they were still trading ...
Any of you out there got facebook ? Try making a few enquiries please ? ... the ads on ITV4 where paid for months ago and do not reflect whats actually happening ... they had potentially £1700 of my hard earned cash and i’m not a happy bunny.

Last edited:

Kbrook

Veteran
No bike ! ... constant waffle and and excuses from live chat, customer service ( an oxymoron if ever there was one ) and i’ve just called the Clitheroe shop and the staff member would not confirm they were still trading ...
Any of you out there got facebook ? Try making a few enquiries please ? ... the ads on ITV4 where paid for months ago and do not reflect whats actually happening ... they had £1700 of my hard earned cash and i’m not a happy bunny.
Why don’t you ask for a refund, do you really want to do business with them?
My other half lives in Clitheroe I’ve been in the new shop twice, not very helpful staff at all.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Why don’t you ask for a refund, do you really want to do business with them?
My other half lives in Clitheroe I’ve been in the new shop twice, not very helpful staff at all.

It’s a CycleScheme purchase ... they have i suggested just what you said ... cancel it and go else where ... I wish SPA would do cyclescheme ...
Thorn ... ??

Top Bottom