What's in the bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Freiston wins, spare gear cables , tape and a few nuts & bolts cant see him being stuck at the side of the road. The cable cutters ?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've added a few cable ties to my minimum equipment list. I've never needed them but they seem like a good idea. I've also got rid of the small adjustable spanner that crept in while I wasn't looking.

freiston

Veteran
Freiston wins, spare gear cables , tape and a few nuts & bolts cant see him being stuck at the side of the road. The cable cutters ?

I've swapped the home made bag out for a Carradice Low Saddle Longflap and I now usually leave the bar bag at home for day rides, using the extra capacity of the saddlebag for everything else unless I'm taking a camera and binoculars - they normally go into the bar bag for easy and quick access. The cable cutters have been reassigned to the toolbox. I used to keep my pump on the seat tube attached with a rubber block and velcro straps but it now lives in the saddlebag too, so with the quick release bracket to remove and fit the saddlebag, it's a lot quicker and easier to take everything with me when I make a cafe or pub stop.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Toolkit. This is a smallish but weirdly heavy nylon bag with a drawstring top and contains all kinds of stuff that I won't bother listing. And a lot of stuff that has made its own way into there without me actually knowing.
Two or three spare tubes.
Waterproof.
Food. (Plenty of)
Phone.
Charge bank and a couple of different cables.
Little retractable cafe lock thingy.
Spare batteries/lights (in winter)
Other crap that has managed to get in there and hidden in the corner.
Pump and other lock are mounted on the bike elsewhere.

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I also carry a headtorch in the winter and at night-time - very handy for comfort breaks as well as the possibility of any mechanical, and can be useful on off-road stretches when you want to see where you're looking rather than where your front wheel is pointing. Mine usually slips into a pocket rather than in the bag - I would need it to find it otherwise.

DogmaStu

I carry as little as possible!

So generally, no bag at all. That goes for both road and MTB.

In my pockets:
mobile phone plus cards, cash etc in cycling wallet
energy gels
small pouch with spare tube (my bikes tyres are tubeless)
tyre levers
C02 thing plus cartridge
mini pump
multi-tool

However! On my gravel adventure bike it's a whole different story. I've recently received my custom colour Wizard Works bar bag and top tube bag. I have a set of all the above in the gravel bike already - the 'secret' down tube compartment behind the water bottle (Specialized Diverge).

So the bags are for extras. Still deciding what those 'extras' might be! ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom