What's it like to ride an aero bike compared to a normal road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

What is riding an aero bike like compared to a standard light weight road bike? What's the posture like and is it comfortable?

Drago

Legendary Member
It ain't comfortable, although I'm not built like a typical competitive cyclist.

Faratid

Depending on your age and how supple you are, you may need to train on the bike to develop the muscles needed to maintain the posture. I don't think anyone would describe the experience as 'comfortable' exactly, it's meant to be a dedicated speed machine, for competitive time trialling, but you can of course use it for whatever you like!
In my case, as I've 'grown' over the years, my thighs collide with my stomach at the top of each stroke.
It's great fun though, here's a picture of my TT bike.

Attachments

• P3225232.JPG
    P3225232.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 44

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Like a time trial bike you mean? They don't look too comfy do they....

Screenshot_20200705-151050_Chrome.jpg

I've never ridden an out and out TT bike, a Giant TCR is as aero as I've ever got. Even then, that's a lot less comfortable than say, my Genesis. The more aerodynamic you get, the less comfortable it is, I think it's fair to say. It's probably also true to say that comfort in an aero tuck depends on how fit and flexible you are. It's all relative.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I reckon you've got to enjoy a bit of suffering if you're going to ride TT's. Comfortable riding position probably isn't top of the list when choosing a bike for this!

Haha, my "aero" bike is simply the one without panniers, and it is noticeably faster (and just as comfy).

I think the comfort thing was more noticeable when aerobikes were a new concept and the newer ones are closer to a roadbike for comfort. I saw a GCN video a while back and on a open air track the aerobike was significantly faster for the same effort. Small comfort differences seem to be outweighed by significant speed gain. Besides, if you are making less effort to achieve a good speed you are more comfortable anyway :okay:

Reactions: C R

davidphilips

Veteran
If you are not used to cycling aero then its not much fun to try and stay low, my own view is practise going aero, the more you practise the easier and more natural it becomes, best way to look at it is free speed for zero cost or less eford for the same speed, plus it comes in handy when cycling into wind. your cycling will become more efficient, not necessary and maybe best avoided when cycling with a club run unless at the front.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Are folk here confusing aero for TT?? The likes of the Giant Propel, Planet X EC-130E etc are aero bikes & not full on TT. Different tube shapes to create a more aerodynamic bike without the full on TT position. I've not rode either TT or Aero bikes so don't know if there's big difference, but looks like there may be :okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Are folk here confusing aero for TT?? The likes of the Giant Propel, Planet X EC-130E etc are aero bikes & not full on TT. Different tube shapes to create a more aerodynamic bike without the full on TT position. I've not rode either TT or Aero bikes so don't know if there's big difference, but looks like there may be :okay:
An aerodynamic road bike only gives a minimal speed advantage because the bulk of the wind resistance is caused by the rider, tube shape is only a minor part of the problem. A TT bike will significantly alter the riding position, getting your head and shoulders lower and bringing your arms closer together allowing you to cut through the air more easily.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What is riding an aero bike like compared to a standard light weight road bike? What's the posture like and is it comfortable?

Aero bikes are slightly more err...aerodynamic, and usually also slightly heavier than a conventional road bike, because the optimum structural design for low weight is not the same as the optimum design for a low drag coefficient. How comfortable or uncomfortable a bike is depends to a large extent on how you set it up and whether it fits properly or not.
Non-aero bikes do not have a monopoly on comfort. You can be just as uncomfortable on any type of bike if you set it up with comfort down your list of priorities. Years ago, club cyclists were riding TT's on bikes that looked no different to any other drop bar road going machine. They might have set their bars a tad lower, or run slightly different gearing, but that was about the limit of it. Riders generally had one general purpose sports bike and rode it for all sorts of different purposes. Many of them would have even used the same bike to ride to work on during the week. It's easy now to get suckered into believing that you must have a specific type of bike for a specific type of riding. but it isn't the case. Most bikes will do most things with a reasonable level of capability, they just won't do most things optimally.

Rocky

Hello decadence
If you want to compete in a TT or do a self contained tour for many months or simply go on an average club ride or do downhill woodland trails, getting a special bike for that purpose makes all the difference. There is a reason that bikes come in different designs......it's not about some marketing conspiracy, as some people would tell you. It's about the bike being fit for purpose.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There is a reason that bikes come in different designs......it's not about some marketing conspiracy, as some people would tell you. It's about the bike being fit for purpose.

You could ride a TT on an old-school steel touring bike if you so wished. You wouldn't win against equal riders on dedicated TT bikes, but you could still participate all the same. If you simply wanted to see how fast you could ride 10 or 25 miles, any bike would do that job.
The reason many cyclists run dedicated bikes for different purposes today is that they can afford to do so, whereas years ago money was often tighter and compromises had to be made - hence the old school club cyclist bikes typically being capable of being run with mudguards and used for commuting. Today's club cyclists tend to be older than in times gone by and have more disposable income.

Rocky

Hello decadence
You could ride a TT on an old-school steel touring bike if you so wished. You wouldn't win against equal riders on dedicated TT bikes, but you could still participate all the same. If you simply wanted to see how fast you could ride 10 or 25 miles, any bike would do that job.
The reason many cyclists run dedicated bikes for different purposes today is that they can afford to do so, whereas years ago money was often tighter and compromises had to be made - hence the old school club cyclist bikes typically being capable of being run with mudguards and used for commuting. Today's club cyclists tend to be older than in times gone by and have more disposable income.
Equally you could do a TT on a unicycle...........

Cycling has changed and bikes have evolved to suit different challenges.....I've been cycling for nearly 60 years and when I was young, very few people did off road or downhill trails. Technology has also evolved providing much better solutions - for basic things like braking and gear changing. It's called progress and unless you are a luddite, it's a good thing.

What I don't understand is how you know what 'many cyclist's' motivations are.........it is not simply about money. I think change is being driven by technology not disposable income.

Top Bottom