Whats my options for mapping a route

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gazza81, 28 Jan 2019.

1. Yes - it's my site!

Pat "5mph" and Phaeton like this.
  2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Ah okay, there are a few other bridleways which need updating as well which I have added to Openstreetmaps which is why I asked, have you considered a MTB option?

3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Richard should be addressed as The Under Lord of Cycle Travel :okay:

Richard Fairhurst likes this.
  4. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I apologise my liege

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  5. freiston

freiston Senior Member

Thanks for the reply - from the subsequent posts, it looks like there's a positive outcome from it :smile:

6. Cool - good to see more data added!

Ultimately I'd quite like to do an MTB/bikepacking route option, but for boring technical reasons adding extra route types is quite expensive - each one takes up an extra 12-16GB RAM on the server, which means renting another server, which means paying out more £££ each month. So it's not something that'll happen for a while, but I'll keep it under review.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  7. JohnE

JohnE Active Member

Another thumbs up from me for mapping with cycle.travel. Its bias for quiet roads matches what I want from a bike ride. I do however also use RideWithGPS as it links directly to my turn by turn navigation app, Bike Tracker from PC Ability (Android only). I just use the audio guidance as I don't like to be distracted by reading a map while riding.

As backup, I have OSMAnd (Open Street Maps) on the rare occasion when I need to check the map, or in an emergency when I need to be guided to another destination.

All free ! I tried Komoot, but baulked at paying for maps that are available for free elsewhere.

8. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat bloke, pedalling slowly and enjoying the ride.

Phaeton likes this.
  9. CXRAndy

CXRAndy Guru

Ive just used cycle.travel on the recommendation from my mate. It worked very well plotting a quiet route on lanes. You get options to pull the route to your preferred choice. It tells you how much is lanes, A roads or traffic free. It has options to use tracks aswell- choose paved only if dedicated road bike.

I downloaded the Gpx onto my phone, opened the file with Wahoo Elemnt app, it converted it, I selected route on device. I reversed the route for homeward journey

10. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Thank you for that good source of OS maps

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Just trying out Komoot with their free map for one county, put it on an old phone & mounted it to an out front Garmin mount, downloaded the route via WiFi then put it in Aeroplane mode for the actual route, very impressed, clear concise onscreen directions which I could see (can't on the Garmin 800) there was also spoken directions but for the most part I couldn't catch those, tried using an earpiece but that doesn't work for me, it affects my balance.

12. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Komoot works great with my Wahoo.

13. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I liked it due to the 5" screen my Garmin is only 2" & when you are bumping along a bridleway I can't make out any of the directions

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  14. bluezelos

bluezelos Active Member

Andy, does this method provide turn by turn navigation? apologies not read the whole thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice