Whats my options for mapping a route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Ah okay, there are a few other bridleways which need updating as well which I have added to Openstreetmaps which is why I asked, have you considered a MTB option?

freiston

Veteran
Apologies been busy & not had time to reply, there is nothing in the instructions about dismounting, it claims that it is a cycleway but I'm not 100% sure here is the link to it on Google https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sBjHPag5Sh-Eml-RJJrJ2mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 the on the 1 way street from again no dismount instruction but no way through (legally) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sBjHPag5Sh-Eml-RJJrJ2mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

View attachment 458165 View attachment 458166
Thanks for the reply - from the subsequent posts, it looks like there's a positive outcome from it :smile:

Ah okay, there are a few other bridleways which need updating as well which I have added to Openstreetmaps which is why I asked, have you considered a MTB option?

Cool - good to see more data added!

Ultimately I'd quite like to do an MTB/bikepacking route option, but for boring technical reasons adding extra route types is quite expensive - each one takes up an extra 12-16GB RAM on the server, which means renting another server, which means paying out more £££ each month. So it's not something that'll happen for a while, but I'll keep it under review.

JohnE

Another thumbs up from me for mapping with cycle.travel. Its bias for quiet roads matches what I want from a bike ride. I do however also use RideWithGPS as it links directly to my turn by turn navigation app, Bike Tracker from PC Ability (Android only). I just use the audio guidance as I don't like to be distracted by reading a map while riding.

As backup, I have OSMAnd (Open Street Maps) on the rare occasion when I need to check the map, or in an emergency when I need to be guided to another destination.

All free ! I tried Komoot, but baulked at paying for maps that are available for free elsewhere.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive just used cycle.travel on the recommendation from my mate. It worked very well plotting a quiet route on lanes. You get options to pull the route to your preferred choice. It tells you how much is lanes, A roads or traffic free. It has options to use tracks aswell- choose paved only if dedicated road bike.

I downloaded the Gpx onto my phone, opened the file with Wahoo Elemnt app, it converted it, I selected route on device. I reversed the route for homeward journey

D

Deleted member 26715

Just trying out Komoot with their free map for one county, put it on an old phone & mounted it to an out front Garmin mount, downloaded the route via WiFi then put it in Aeroplane mode for the actual route, very impressed, clear concise onscreen directions which I could see (can't on the Garmin 800) there was also spoken directions but for the most part I couldn't catch those, tried using an earpiece but that doesn't work for me, it affects my balance.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Just trying out Komoot with their free map for one county, put it on an old phone & mounted it to an out front Garmin mount, downloaded the route via WiFi then put it in Aeroplane mode for the actual route, very impressed, clear concise onscreen directions which I could see (can't on the Garmin 800) there was also spoken directions but for the most part I couldn't catch those, tried using an earpiece but that doesn't work for me, it affects my balance.
Komoot works great with my Wahoo.

bluezelos

Ive just used cycle.travel on the recommendation from my mate. It worked very well plotting a quiet route on lanes. You get options to pull the route to your preferred choice. It tells you how much is lanes, A roads or traffic free. It has options to use tracks aswell- choose paved only if dedicated road bike.

I downloaded the Gpx onto my phone, opened the file with Wahoo Elemnt app, it converted it, I selected route on device. I reversed the route for homeward journey

Andy, does this method provide turn by turn navigation? apologies not read the whole thread.

Top Bottom