Whats my options for mapping a route

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gazza81, 28 Jan 2019.

1. gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

Ive got strava, would it use a lot of data/battery to use it to follow a route?

Ive got a route planned but being unfamiliar with the area id like to follow a map without having to print one and stop at every turn to see where im going.

Any options i dont know about?

2. Markymark

Markymark Guest

I use rwgps on my iPhone. To use it live you need premium which costs about £35 a year. You can download the map in advance then no data is needed. In fact putting your phone in airplane mode then saves battery life. It downloads the route and a few miles either side. If you go beyond that you’ll need to switch in data.

I also have a charging case which gives me an extra 1.5 charges. So all in I get about 8 hours cycling before I need to recharge which is more than eviugh for me. In tours I have carried a small extra charging bank fir emergencies but never needed it.

Milzy and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. rugby bloke

rugby bloke Veteran

Another vote for the ridewithgps and iPhone combo. Downloading the routes to your phone works really well and does not rinse your battery too quickly. I've had it running for 8 hours and still had charge left at the end - even if I was completely spent !

4. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

I'll check it out cheers

Im only gonna be out for a couple hrs at most really so hopefully my batt should last

5. Markymark

Markymark Guest

If that only uses 50-60 % of your battery then all good. Beyond that I’d get a mini power bank in case of emergencies.

gazza81 likes this.
  6. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

Komoot is also worth a look. Has offline maps and you get one area free. The area is large but obviously if your route goes over the edge you’ll be out of luck. But you can buy areas for £8 or the whole world for £20. It does directions and will also suggests walks, off road and on road cycling routes.

gazza81 and burntoutbanger like this.
  7. Distorted Vision

Distorted Vision Senior Member

Have a look Bikemap (www.bikemap.net).

I use the app as I prefer it over the RidewithGPS one when out riding. Also the free version of Bikemap has features which are only included in the paid for version of RidewithGPS eg Turn by Turn navigation and voice navigation. Both require paid for service for offline maps and navigation. For me I have no need for it and so use the free version. Also Bikemap premium is alot cheaper than RidewithGPS. One thing route planning is better with RidewithGPS so I create my routes and export as GPX which I import into Bikemap.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2019
    gazza81 likes this.
  8. Distorted Vision

Distorted Vision Senior Member

Last edited: 29 Jan 2019
    Tiger10 likes this.
  9. Wow. That is expensive. The only thing it has got going for it is the novelty.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  10. With Ridewithgps you can also customise the route sheet and print it out.

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

So ive had a little play with all of them and so far i like kamoot the best, the free map covers where i wanted to go on the weekend so thats a bonus, £9 for extra maps or 20 for the whole world is good too.
    The mapping is a little frustrating tho, it just wont let me go down some rds which other apps will, it wants to send me a long way round.

Ride with gps £75 for premium member! Deleted once i saw that lol

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  12. Markymark

Markymark Guest

you only need the $50 a year plan for what you need.

13. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Have you bought it yet? Let me know before you part with your £20.

14. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

No I haven't got it the free map covers most of my area so for the time being that will probably do me ok

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  15. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

You can plot routes on the Kamoot website and override its suggestions if you want to. Then save it and it will be available on your mobile device. Or you can import a route from elsewhere.

burntoutbanger and gazza81 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice