Whats my options for mapping a route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Ive got strava, would it use a lot of data/battery to use it to follow a route?

Ive got a route planned but being unfamiliar with the area id like to follow a map without having to print one and stop at every turn to see where im going.

Any options i dont know about?

I use rwgps on my iPhone. To use it live you need premium which costs about £35 a year. You can download the map in advance then no data is needed. In fact putting your phone in airplane mode then saves battery life. It downloads the route and a few miles either side. If you go beyond that you’ll need to switch in data.

I also have a charging case which gives me an extra 1.5 charges. So all in I get about 8 hours cycling before I need to recharge which is more than eviugh for me. In tours I have carried a small extra charging bank fir emergencies but never needed it.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Another vote for the ridewithgps and iPhone combo. Downloading the routes to your phone works really well and does not rinse your battery too quickly. I've had it running for 8 hours and still had charge left at the end - even if I was completely spent !

KneesUp

Guru
Komoot is also worth a look. Has offline maps and you get one area free. The area is large but obviously if your route goes over the edge you’ll be out of luck. But you can buy areas for £8 or the whole world for £20. It does directions and will also suggests walks, off road and on road cycling routes.

Have a look Bikemap (www.bikemap.net).

I use the app as I prefer it over the RidewithGPS one when out riding. Also the free version of Bikemap has features which are only included in the paid for version of RidewithGPS eg Turn by Turn navigation and voice navigation. Both require paid for service for offline maps and navigation. For me I have no need for it and so use the free version. Also Bikemap premium is alot cheaper than RidewithGPS. One thing route planning is better with RidewithGPS so I create my routes and export as GPX which I import into Bikemap.

Last edited:
I thought this was a cool battery power bank albeit expensive:

71s1gB2DGIL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOTSTRØM-Shockproof-Suitable-ActionCam-Smartphone/dp/B00HWUT8CC/

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wow. That is expensive. The only thing it has got going for it is the novelty.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
With Ridewithgps you can also customise the route sheet and print it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_060932.jpg
    IMG_20190111_060932.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
So ive had a little play with all of them and so far i like kamoot the best, the free map covers where i wanted to go on the weekend so thats a bonus, £9 for extra maps or 20 for the whole world is good too.
The mapping is a little frustrating tho, it just wont let me go down some rds which other apps will, it wants to send me a long way round.

Ride with gps £75 for premium member! Deleted once i saw that lol

So ive had a little play with all of them and so far i like kamoot the best, the free map covers where i wanted to go on the weekend so thats a bonus, £9 for extra maps or 20 for the whole world is good too.
The mapping is a little frustrating tho, it just wont let me go down some rds which other apps will, it wants to send me a long way round.

you only need the $50 a year plan for what you need.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Have you bought it yet? Let me know before you part with your £20.

Top Bottom