Whats my options for mapping a route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks sorted it now

How comes strava is so much more popular than the other options? At least it is with people i know

Does it offer something the others dont that im missing?

I keep playing with it because i know people on there but just keep going back to komoot, it just seems so much better!
I export my rides from Komoot to Strava as a back-up. Loving Komoot though.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah i have done a couple but its just a bit of a pain
I find komoot easier to navigate too

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I agree with the ease of using Komoot for the type of routes described above.

HOWEVER I have stopped using it for importing files. On a few occasions I have imported files to Komoot from a reliable source like Cycle.Travel and RWGPS and Komoot has corrupted the route beyond annoying. Both cases were on 200km winter Audax rides. Once (on my road bike) I was sent up, out of a nice flat valley onto a stony off road ridge gravel track. Unnecessary elevation and wasted effort and lost speed and time needed to finish the ride. Another time it sent me down a 2.5km peaty drove. I was knee deep in ancient plant matter on a road bike. I was spitting.

I complained to Komoot about the corrupted files to see if it was an error on my part. Turned out it wasn’t. It took them almost 10 days to answer my ‘ticket’. The second time they didn’t even reply.

It could have potentially serious ramifications on a remote tour. So it’s ok for little, point to point stuff in the 1st World, but it is way too unreliable for my liking and for what I need it to do. As for customer service: Pffft.

Give me Cycle.Travel or RWGPS any day.

(Playing with Strava’s Route Builder at the moment and I like the option to choose popular cycle routes and flatter elevation)

Well I'd never heard of of this komoot (realise Komoot is the old bikely the bike radar site which was) now that route mapping tool and of first look it medieval compared to Ride with GPS or plotaroute don't know about strava or garmin as never used them for plotting Still had to put my two pennyworth in and I asked komoot to do a route from my home to an airfield in south Somerset and though it was 6 miles shorter it certainly wasn't cycle friendly as the on i'd plotted and can't see a way of editing route either plus looking again also see that they seem to be wanting you to pay for it!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Well I'd never heard of of this komoot (realise Komoot is the old bikely the bike radar site which was) now that route mapping tool and of first look it medieval compared to Ride with GPS or plotaroute don't know about strava or garmin as never used them for plotting Still had to put my two pennyworth in and I asked komoot to do a route from my home to an airfield in south Somerset and though it was 6 miles shorter it certainly wasn't cycle friendly as the on i'd plotted and can't see a way of editing route either plus looking again also see that they seem to be wanting you to pay for it!
You edit routes by dragging and dropping the route line at the point you wish to deviate.

freiston

Veteran
I tried Komoot for planning/saving/exporting rides but didn't get on with it (plus I couldn't tell if they were being made available to all and sundry in the "public domain" - don't really want a load of rides going to and from my home for all to see, whether there's a liability in it or not). I went back to cycle.travel (or CycleStreets or bikehike) to create routes/export as .gpx files and then upload to the relevant folder on my phone for Osmand to pick up and follow. Osmand will plot routes with intermediate waypoints quite nicely (after the learning curve) and it works out even long routes between points nicely too but I prefer to do my plotting/planning on the big screen and desktop pc at home.

A big advantage in cycle.travel (or the aforementioned alternatives) and Osmand is that they are free (but I did pay about £1.50 for the Osmand contour line layer). Osmand works without any data signal (but I haven't tried/don't know about route planning whilst offline) and will navigate with only GPS. Night mode is good too.

D

Deleted member 26715

Never heard of cycle.travel & just tried a route, apart from taking me down a oneway street the wrong way & then through the middle of a bus station the route wasn't too bad, a couple of tweaks & it was there. But I think this shows the underlying problem with all of them, it's the quality of the maps they use. Even the ones that claim to use Openstreet maps must use different versions as some bridleways/paths are on some maps but not on others.

I think it's find one that works for you & then every now & again check out another just to see if the one you're using is still the right one for you.

freiston

Veteran
Never heard of cycle.travel & just tried a route, apart from taking me down a oneway street the wrong way & then through the middle of a bus station the route wasn't too bad, a couple of tweaks & it was there. But I think this shows the underlying problem with all of them, it's the quality of the maps they use. Even the ones that claim to use Openstreet maps must use different versions as some bridleways/paths are on some maps but not on others.

I think it's find one that works for you & then every now & again check out another just to see if the one you're using is still the right one for you.
Out of interest, did it direct you down the one way street/through the bus station "on foot" or cycling (cycle.travel will include dismounted sections and give the dismounted mileage total as well as roads and cycle paths)? Cycle.travel use OpenStreetMap

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Some cycle routes do go down one way streets in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic. You’ll know because motons will hurl abuse at you. Victims of rubbish infra. All of us.

Ridiculous but true. Yet more infrastructure designed while planners were asleep or on LSD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Out of interest, did it direct you down the one way street/through the bus station "on foot" or cycling (cycle.travel will include dismounted sections and give the dismounted mileage total as well as roads and cycle paths)? Cycle.travel use OpenStreetMap
Currently out will check on return home

D

Deleted member 26715

Apologies been busy & not had time to reply, there is nothing in the instructions about dismounting, it claims that it is a cycleway but I'm not 100% sure here is the link to it on Google https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sBjHPag5Sh-Eml-RJJrJ2mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 the on the 1 way street from again no dismount instruction but no way through (legally) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sBjHPag5Sh-Eml-RJJrJ2mA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Selection_048.png
Selection_049.png

Just had a look - the one-way street wasn't marked in OpenStreetMap (the source for cycle.travel's street data). I've fixed it now, so cycle.travel's route choices will reflect it next time I update the maps - probably in a week or so.

The little cut-through was marked as "bikes permitted" by a mapper last December - looks legit enough to me but I don't know the area!

Top Bottom