Whats my options for mapping a route

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gazza81, 28 Jan 2019.

1. burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger Senior Member

I've worn headphones while using Komoot, no safety issues at all. Only had to stop to look at the screen once or twice on a twenty mile ride when coming to a T junction and the voice cue telling me to go straight on.

Try it somewhere quiet if you're unsure but I had no issues.

2. OP
    OP
    gazza81

gazza81 Senior Member

I cant always hear what its saying but i can hear that its saying something and because the screen wakes up i just look at it and its showing me where to go.

Ive unlocked a couple other reigns for 3 quid each

3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Can you send me a PM? I’ll send a reply with some stuff Komoot gave me that I don’t need.

4. jiberjaber

jiberjaber Über Member

After a couple of weeks (10 days) of signed up for free using the free region they will send you a discounted email, I think it was £10 off the £30

5. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Fantastic news. I did get the Derbyshire region for £3.99 this morning so I could have a proper shakedown of the app over 50km which I have to say worked very well. My only gripe is pronunciation, but then place names always have the weirdest pronunciation.

jiberjaber likes this.
  6. jiberjaber

jiberjaber Über Member

I've not tried the routing during the ride - I usually just create the route and then sync it with my Garmin. One problem with that is that you can not download a new route whilst an activity is running so you need to stop, save then download.

I once tried out RWGPS phone routing and noticed it was unable to workout if you were riding a route backwards (I did a route out to somewhere then rode the same route back but with the guidance on). It still gave you the turn announcements but reversed!... not tried Komoot for this yet but should do as I usually use these things as backup should the Garmin fail on an Audax :smile:

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  7. LeetleGreyCells

I don’t have a Garmin so Komoot will be my go-to navigational app. I could do with a better phone holder for the bike as my current one holds the phone at too steep an angle. I also wondered if I could get a single earpiece for the audio.

8. LeetleGreyCells

So I got my promo offer through and got the whole world maps for £19.99. I've used Komoot now for navigation and simply recording a ride and I'm very happy with it. My only gripe is that it's a faff to upload to Strava as Komoot is trying to compete in this area, but it's not impossible. This do nicely for my local rides plus when I take the bike with me on holiday in the summer for early morning rides while the rest of the family are asleep.

I'm using the route planner on the web more than on my iPhone as it's easier to see and I need Google Maps Streetview to find town and village signs for the ABC Challenge. I have used the planner on the phone once as it was easy enough and not as fiddly as I thought it would be.

jiberjaber and gazza81 like this.
  9. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Just signed up for komoot to try & already have a problem, if you search for a place called Ranby in Nottinghamshire, you will see there is a canal going past the village I want to ride up the side of the canal & then go onto Green Mil e lane & it will not let me it re-routes me on every occasion up the A1 which is not a road I would like to cycle on.

Selection_041.png

It also won't allow me to continue down the Byway which can be seen on this satellite image as it continues past the houses (in the centre) & then along the treeline to the top left. Unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly likely.

Selection_043.png

10. LeetleGreyCells

Have you tried dragging the route line where you want it to go? Or, if on a laptop, right-click and select Add Waypoint.

Worth a try.

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Yep that's what happens in the 2nd image

12. LeetleGreyCells

How strange. I’ve not come across this issue yet. I’ll see if I can have a play with the mapping when I get home.

You could email Komoot and/or go on OpenStreetMap and see if it needs a correction adding.

13. The canal towpath doesn't have any connections to the roads in OSM, so the routing engine doesn't know you can go from one to the other.

The byway doesn't appear to be marked on OSM at all.

You could log into OSM and make the changes yourself, or if you're not confident in that, leave a 'note' on OSM so someone else can do it.

On cycle.travel you can choose "go direct" between two via points to do a straight-line route in circumstances like this, but I don't know if Komoot lets you do that.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  14. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I've tried to edit, but I can't work it out lol, so I've put notes on there

15. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Worked out how to edit but put them for somebody to check in case I did it wrong

jiberjaber likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice