Whats my options for mapping a route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I've worn headphones while using Komoot, no safety issues at all. Only had to stop to look at the screen once or twice on a twenty mile ride when coming to a T junction and the voice cue telling me to go straight on.

Try it somewhere quiet if you're unsure but I had no issues.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I cant always hear what its saying but i can hear that its saying something and because the screen wakes up i just look at it and its showing me where to go.

Ive unlocked a couple other reigns for 3 quid each

jiberjaber

Veteran
I live on the border between two regions so had to pick one as the free one so now I can only ride north of home with navigation while I try Komoot out. If I like it then I don’t mind paying out, but I too would like to pay less that £30 for all regions if anyone has a discount code or similar.

I did my first ride today using Komoot, a utility ride to collect some wood screws from Screwfix so perfect for testing the app. I turned the screen off on the outbound journey but only heard approx. half the cues on full volume. Riding back, I left the screen on which used 13% battery in 11 minutes. I’ve got to work out a way of hearing the audio cues - I won’t wear headphones cycling on the road. Maybe a single earpiece? I don’t really like the idea of that though.

After a couple of weeks (10 days) of signed up for free using the free region they will send you a discounted email, I think it was £10 off the £30

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
After a couple of weeks (10 days) of signed up for free using the free region they will send you a discounted email, I think it was £10 off the £30
Fantastic news. I did get the Derbyshire region for £3.99 this morning so I could have a proper shakedown of the app over 50km which I have to say worked very well. My only gripe is pronunciation, but then place names always have the weirdest pronunciation.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Fantastic news. I did get the Derbyshire region for £3.99 this morning so I could have a proper shakedown of the app over 50km which I have to say worked very well. My only gripe is pronunciation, but then place names always have the weirdest pronunciation.
I've not tried the routing during the ride - I usually just create the route and then sync it with my Garmin. One problem with that is that you can not download a new route whilst an activity is running so you need to stop, save then download.

I once tried out RWGPS phone routing and noticed it was unable to workout if you were riding a route backwards (I did a route out to somewhere then rode the same route back but with the guidance on). It still gave you the turn announcements but reversed!... not tried Komoot for this yet but should do as I usually use these things as backup should the Garmin fail on an Audax :smile:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I've not tried the routing during the ride - I usually just create the route and then sync it with my Garmin. One problem with that is that you can not download a new route whilst an activity is running so you need to stop, save then download.

I once tried out RWGPS phone routing and noticed it was unable to workout if you were riding a route backwards (I did a route out to somewhere then rode the same route back but with the guidance on). It still gave you the turn announcements but reversed!... not tried Komoot for this yet but should do as I usually use these things as backup should the Garmin fail on an Audax :smile:
I don’t have a Garmin so Komoot will be my go-to navigational app. I could do with a better phone holder for the bike as my current one holds the phone at too steep an angle. I also wondered if I could get a single earpiece for the audio.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
So I got my promo offer through and got the whole world maps for £19.99. I've used Komoot now for navigation and simply recording a ride and I'm very happy with it. My only gripe is that it's a faff to upload to Strava as Komoot is trying to compete in this area, but it's not impossible. This do nicely for my local rides plus when I take the bike with me on holiday in the summer for early morning rides while the rest of the family are asleep.

I'm using the route planner on the web more than on my iPhone as it's easier to see and I need Google Maps Streetview to find town and village signs for the ABC Challenge. I have used the planner on the phone once as it was easy enough and not as fiddly as I thought it would be.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just signed up for komoot to try & already have a problem, if you search for a place called Ranby in Nottinghamshire, you will see there is a canal going past the village I want to ride up the side of the canal & then go onto Green Mil e lane & it will not let me it re-routes me on every occasion up the A1 which is not a road I would like to cycle on.

Selection_041.png

It also won't allow me to continue down the Byway which can be seen on this satellite image as it continues past the houses (in the centre) & then along the treeline to the top left. Unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly likely.

Selection_043.png

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Just signed up for komoot to try & already have a problem, if you search for a place called Ranby in Nottinghamshire, you will see there is a canal going past the village I want to ride up the side of the canal & then go onto Green Mil e lane & it will not let me it re-routes me on every occasion up the A1 which is not a road I would like to cycle on.

View attachment 455835

It also won't allow me to continue down the Byway which can be seen on this satellite image as it continues past the houses (in the centre) & then along the treeline to the top left. Unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly likely.

View attachment 455836
Have you tried dragging the route line where you want it to go? Or, if on a laptop, right-click and select Add Waypoint.

Worth a try.

The canal towpath doesn't have any connections to the roads in OSM, so the routing engine doesn't know you can go from one to the other.

The byway doesn't appear to be marked on OSM at all.

You could log into OSM and make the changes yourself, or if you're not confident in that, leave a 'note' on OSM so someone else can do it.

On cycle.travel you can choose "go direct" between two via points to do a straight-line route in circumstances like this, but I don't know if Komoot lets you do that.

D

Deleted member 26715

You could log into OSM and make the changes yourself, or if you're not confident in that, leave a 'note' on OSM so someone else can do it..
I've tried to edit, but I can't work it out lol, so I've put notes on there

D

Deleted member 26715

Worked out how to edit but put them for somebody to check in case I did it wrong

Top Bottom