Whats the best cycling route app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi just wondering what most road cycling riders use to plan there rides. I bought a wahoo element roam used it today with a planned route from Strava but it was rubbish. I've looked at other apps but most of them won't put you on main roads like koomot ride with GPS they seem to be for more of gravel bikes.

kenmiles

Hi just wondering what most road cycling riders use to plan there rides. I bought a wahoo element roam used it today with a planned route from Strava but it was rubbish. I've looked at other apps but most of them won't put you on main roads like koomot ride with GPS they seem to be for more of gravel bikes.
Ride With GPS.
You can select types of roads you prefer when you plan a route.
Out of all the apps I have used this I have found the best although you need a subscription to get the most out of it but well worth it.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Ok cheers I'll have another look is it worth the subscription. I only bought the wahoo element roam because I fancy doing some audaxs when we are back to normal but they give you fox I think.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another RideWith GPS fan here. My only niggle is that it won't show my Explorer squares, whereas Strava will, but you have to pay for that and I'm tight.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Best to go off your laptop than try getting routes of the phone I suppose. I'm sure I tried to download the route I made up but I had to subscribe to rwgps

RWGPS for me too, planned a Sussex to Paris, and the Elemnt worked without any issue.
You have to plan your roads though, which I always find interesting.
The ability to use the Wahoo phone app and set a route is good too, we used this in Bruges, to get to Dam (not far, and along a straight canal,) but from the centre of town it was perfect.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Just been on rwgps I tried to download a route it went onto the subscription page basic is £48 a year or a fiver a month there's no free subscription. Or you do get a 30 day trial.

OldShep

Über Member
Just been on rwgps I tried to download a route it went onto the subscription page basic is £48 a year or a fiver a month there's no free subscription. Or you do get a 30 day trial.
I’ve just been there and can export. Tcx or gpx no bother at all and I’ve never crossed their palm with silver. You are logged in I assume.

I used to use Ride with GPS but since finding Cycle Travel I stopped using it.
The chap (Richard Fairhurst) who runs it is a cyclist himself. It has a number of nice features and has tended to take me via quieter roads, if not the most direct.
I pointed out to Richard that on a route I know well the App doesn't use a perfectly usable track that cuts off about 2+ miles. He's now corrected this, almost personal service^_^.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I just use Strava and have never found a problem with it :okay:
Same here, linked to my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt. Plan the route on Strava on a laptop or PC, save it, switch on Bolt, by the time I’m ready to ride it has synced the new route(s) and I can select directly from the Bolt.

I usually use Google Maps or OS to confirm the status of any off-road portions or to Streetview any junctions or roads that might need close attention.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I've just been on rwgps I was using my phone which they wanted to charge me.,but when I went on the laptop it was ok no need to pay to download rides I tried to make my own routes but they kept changing the route to go off main roads. So what I've done is use routes from other road cyclist in my area and sync them to my Wahoo I'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom