What's the best LBS in Glasgow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

Need a new bike and was wondering the best place these days.

Heard that Billy Bislands is not bad. Rather support and LBS than Evans

Brandane

Legendary Member

Lee_M

Guru
cant comment on other evans shops but i met one of the mechanics from evans in Braeside when I was on holiday and he was a very knowledgeable chap.. of course you have to go through the retail staff to get to him

gavintc

Guru
Don't know why but I hate that shop and have for years. Plus all they seem to sell now are specialized
I agree, went in once, not been back. I got my Kinesis from Billy Billsland's. The owner seems a genuine man - small shop, but competent mechanics.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Plus all they seem to sell now are specialized

Which is probably why I like it :smile:. Plus I find the staff to be helpful without being too pushy, and have had some good advice from them in the past. Some not so good as well, TBH, but in general I find it to be a good shop.

There is also GearBikes in Gibson Street. Nice wee shop with good staff; however I have to say they let me down a few months ago after I ordered and paid a deposit on a set of wheels. They didn't appear within the promised time period despite me emphasising I needed them for an upcoming trip to France. They blamed their supplier for the problem; but as I told them, I could have got them over the internet myself and missed out the middle man, but chose to give the LBS some custom. I did get them eventually online, from Spa Cycles, but not in time for the France trip. Lesson learned.

zizou

Veteran
Depends what sort of bike you are after (not just brand but whether it is road or mtb etc) and also things like whether you want a demo bike for a weekend etc.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've heard lots of good things about Dooleys but haven't used them myself,

Maybe I was unlucky, but......

A stick got tangled up in my front wheel somewhere outside Bishopton, breaking a spoke, bending another, and breaking the bracket which holds the front mudguard onto its mounting rails. I had to get home by train which involved changing at Paisley, so thought I might as well pop into Dooleys as it's just round the corner from Gilmour Street anyway. On entering the empty, damp smelling shop, the one member of staff was engrossed in her newspaper which was sitting on the counter. She didn't look too pleased at being disturbed by a potential customer. I explained to her what had happened; and asked what price a replacement mudguard would be, and if she had a couple of replacement spokes of the correct size.
Her manner was really disinterested, and she took a pair of new mudguards off the display, putting them on the counter. Then appeared with 2 silver spokes (the spokes on my wheels were black), and totaled up the price... "That will be £35.20" (or whatever it was) she says. Errrm; thanks but I was hoping to get a front mudguard only, and BLACK spokes to match the rest! "They (mudguards) only come in pairs, and we don't have black spokes in your size".
OK, thanks but no thanks says I, and back to the train station for the train home. I fixed the mudguard myself by drilling holes and using cable ties to re-attach it to the rails, and got the spokes elsewhere for a few ££. Not impressed with Dooleys I'm afraid!

OP
OP
B

Beeankey

I agree, went in once, not been back. I got my Kinesis from Billy Billsland's. The owner seems a genuine man - small shop, but competent mechanics.

They're a great shop. The son of Billy Bisland son Neal runs the shop now. His enthusiasm is so infectious and would make a non cyclist want to give it a go. They also have free servicing for life, give you a replacement bike to get home if you popped in when out cycling and had a problem with your bike, are opened from 8.30 until 6.30 every day, give you a bike box if you ever want to take your bike on holiday as they don't expect most people to spend £500 on one they may only use once per year. The only down side is they have a guy working there who in my opinion is a wee bit of a smart arse and not really got a great temperament for working in retail and dealing with people. He's particularly a bit snobby and aloof with novices which is a shame as the others are great

format

Über Member
I like Rig, although they lean towards fixed gear bikes more than anything else.

Also a wee plug for Siempre, who have a pretty good mechanic in Richard (ex - bike station).

Ccchicane

Clarkston cycle centre on the south side is first class, wee Alec is a proper mechanic, frame builder and wheel builder, worked in rattrays previously building flying scots, fast efficient friendly service, can't recommend highly enough!

Top Bottom