What's the biggest cause of stress in your life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nothing could compare with the loss of a child - so sorry to hear that ...

My own lesser stress started off as a combination of relationship stress, family stress and work stress. Those stresses caused me to crack up and I lost the relationship and the work, which kind of helped in one way, but plunged me into debt which was a wonderful new replacement stress.

The family stress was eventually resolved over time by the deaths of my parents after long periods of ill health, but was replaced by the stress of grief.

Two years after the death of my mum, I was finally getting my head back together and planning for the future when ... the world ran out of oxygen! Actually, it didn't, but I nearly did. I ended up doing a great impression of a fish out of water, flopping about on the ground, gasping for air, my skin deathly white and my lips blue. Fortunately, after 3 hours of crawling, I managed to get to a phone, and eventually to hospital.

My illness was a big source of stress, but 8 months of rat poison meds got me back to about 50% of my former capacity and I was able to go drug-free - yay!

3 months later, I got the same illness again, was doing the gasping fish thing, and was back on meds for life - boo!

But after 6 months of that, I started to improve again - yay!

And then I caught a bloody cold and I am back flopped in front of the computer, stupidly short of breath, with an elevated pulse rate and feeling crap - boo!

But ... I think I will be ok, eventually. Not great - I am never going to be able to do some of the things that I'd wanted to do but if I can do moderately hard bike rides and not suffer too much, then that would do me. Oh, and earning a modest income too would be handy ...

pplpilot

Guru
I try not to get stressed at things ( i do quite well at shrugging things off) ive seen 1st hand what stress can lead to and i really would not want to be in that place.

colly

Re member eR
Things get into perspective reading posts like Jason's.

My stress at the moment............I have an order book that will take me into April, possibly beyond. Getting the work completed on time, funding the work, dealing with new enquiries, explaining why I can't..............'just fit my little job in'., chasing payments etc etc. Just not enough hours.
Seems petty when I think of people with no work, health problems, housing issues, and so on.
Even so I get stressed by it all. Not much tbh but I do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know where you are coming from @totallyfixed .
Took 3.5 years to get my shoulder accident sorted and about the same to get me fixed. The delays were my recovery and I ended up accepting the first offer. It was reasonable, and I had had enough, such a relief just to move on. Fortunately my shoulder is now great.

Currrent bollox issue is stressing me out as its been a problem now for 15 months. Hopefull it will settle down, but I am on medication to reduce the pain syndrome I have. The stress was not being able to ride far, and most importantly, the pain caused by getting frisky with my wife. Makes you feel a failure. I am also very angry with the GPs that gave me advice for a simple operation 15 months ago and denied that there was a fairly high chance of problems.

Fingers crossed this is improving as I have had no setbacks this week despite clocking extra commute miles. Explaining to my consultant about cycling and having a dodgy undercarriage. Fortunately he has been dead straight with me.

All the best, as the stress cant be helping you recover from your recent op.

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
I think losing my son put just about everything into perspective because nothing really rivals it in importance. I'd like to say it gets easier but in reality I think it just changes and you learn to live differently. Illness as well is a real leveller, I feel for anyone who has gone through something like that.

Last edited:

Slim

Über Member
Coping with the loss of our 3 month old daughter back in March is the most stressful time I've ever had and ever will have

The ex misses the mother of my 9 year old stresses the bloody hell out of me at times

I keep having to remind my missus that misplacing her credit card is not a nightmare. I can barely imagine what it must be like losing a child. I have two healthy and happy children and I count my blessings every day. Your loss certainly puts my employment troubles into perspective.

Sympathies

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Coping with the loss of our 3 month old daughter back in March is the most stressful time I've ever had and ever will have

The ex misses the mother of my 9 year old stresses the bloody hell out of me at times
Anything I might post is trivial in comparison and brings my stresses in to clear focus in that they mean nothing. Don't really know what else to say.

MarkF

Guru
I'm never stressed, when I was young I made a bright decision and lived, many people didn't and died. The Bradford City fire is nearly 30 years ago now but I've sailed through life without a care in the world since, paradoxically, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Jason.T

Cheers guys it's been very tough ever since but were slowly learning to cope with it

I do come to work some days watching people flap about getting flustered and stressed and I just stand back and watch thinking it's really not worth getting stressed about, trivial things don't bother me any more

But on a lighter note what does stress me out is the fact they put malteasers in a packet of minstrels, it should be illegal, they don't belong there :sad:)

jhawk

Veteran
Probably trying to find work here. With the other half living a world away... And, also, the uncertainties regarding my own future.

Although, comparatively, my own stresses are minute to others here... :/

Top Bottom