What's the first film you saw at the cinema?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

I think it was Dumbo. I was a nipper and it made me cry :sad:

Disney's The Jungle Book at a cinema in Selly Oak, Birmingham.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What confuses me is the timing. I was born in february 68, but remember being in the cinema and hiding behind a seat. Did films have longer runs back then?

Back in those days they would show films in the school summer hols for years, it would be about five years before a film would be shown on telly and there was no home video then either. It is entirely possible that you saw it at the cinema several years after its release. I went to see it thirteen times!

atbman

Veteran
Beau Geste with, I think, Ronald Colman at the Warwick moving kinematograph. My gran took me at the age of 5. I thought the bit where he rushed round propping up dead legionaires on the fort walls was pretty clever. Don't remember anything else about it. '45 or maybe early '46.

Whippersnappers

Doseone

Guru
Jungle book at the Odeon warrington, some years later they knocked it down :sad:
I'm not sure it was my first film, I'd have to ask my parents that one, but Jungle Book is one of the first films that I remember and I still love it to this day. I took my now wife to see it as one of our first dates in 1988 (it was being shown again)...she fell asleep!!
BTW Melonfish, you're not me are you? I'm sure it was you I was talking to about Aikido, and is that you on the Bushcraft forum?^_^

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Transformers The movie, the original one circa 1985 :blush:

I also remember seeing Pinoccio round about the same time, and both at the Rialto in Dumbarton, now a Bingo hall.

For me it was Highlander 2 back in '91. It's also the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. The plot holes in that film are so large you could get a heard of stampeading Elephants through them with room to spare.

For me it was Highlander 2 back in '91. It's also the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. The plot holes in that film are so large you could get a heard of stampeading Elephants through them with room to spare.
I'm (ahem) a little bit older than you. On new years eve we realised we were very drunk, the next day was going to be a right-off and Highlander II was opening tomorrow (Australia). As we were all nerds, we were on the internet (this is pre-web days) we had heard what a turkey it was, so about 15 of us rolled up to the cinema ready for a laugh riot. We were not disappointed. "Africa, a country with very little shade, is particularly affected"

I did pity the poor souls who were obvious highlander fans, not worded up and we spending a sad, lonely new years day not only seeing a terribly disappointing movie, but having it further maimed by our laughter.

Top Bottom