What's the general rule on removing helmets in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
Does the 'gentleman' rule apply to ladies too?? ;)

Yeabut, when you remove your helmet you can do that Hollywood hair swishing thing that biker chick's do.
Or do you have issues with helmet hair?

... safe for work vid BTW ...
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo6vGG9oJFs[/media]

Davidc

Guru
Of course you shouldn't.

Off the bike you become a pedestrian, and that's really hazardous!

The security person in the bank got very ratty when I walked in forgetting to take mine off some time ago!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Bike helmets only cover the top of your head, not your face. I don't bother removing mine and nobody has ever said anything.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I never remove mine. In fact, I've even been into shops with my balaclava on though I lower the opening to below my chin so they can see some of my face.

I also reassure staff that I ain't a robber.

Norm

I also reassure staff that I ain't a robber.
I'm sure that helps. :biggrin:

I dislike the helmet look so much that, if I am wearing it, I whip it off as soon as I get off the bike anyway. It only takes seconds to take it off, unlike the motorbike helmet which, for the reasons given above, I don't remove.

I'm conscious that there might be some pig-headedness in there, as I'm forced to wear a motorbike helmet but the cycling helmet is optional.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wear mine in a shop if I'm just nipping in and grabbing some thing... but if I'm going to be any length of time then I'll take it off and put it in my bag, or looped around the straps but it does tend to be easier to knock there. So far nobody has ever asked me to remove my helmet in a shop.

Like Chris says:

Bike helmets only cover the top of your head, not your face.

I don't bother removing mine either and nobody has ever said anything. Besides its always something extra to carry and forget if you do. I could leave it on the bike, I'm not too worried about it getting stolen its coming back to it being vandalised worries me; it seems like a perfect place for some yob to discard their chewing gum, etc.

Camgreen

[QUOTE 1331126"]
There has actually been a spate of robberies in the UK lately.

And I take my hats off to them as it's almost the perfect crime. You can turn up on the bike wearing a helmet and sunglasses (standard cyclist wear) and no-one will bat an eyelid. From here on in the people involved are holding up the petrol stations with a banana (looking like a gun) in their Gore jacket and them making off with a couple of hundred quid and a box of flapjacks for good measure.

They can then make a good getaway running red lights and cycling the wrong way up one way streets as this is standard cyclist behaviour.

Hope the bastards get caught though - it's cyclists like this that give other cyclists a bad name.

In short OP - take your helmet off people entering into said premises.

[/quote]

The more sophisticated criminal is going for hobnobs these days Lee .... keep up
whistling.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bald mate always wears a cycle cap to keep his head warm in cold weather, He was absolutely incensed when he was told that he couldn't go into a local pub with it on. They had started with a hoodie ban, but then the hoodies complained that it was unfair to be discriminated against, so the pub owners banned pretty much all headgear. I don't know if it included flat caps, and I bet you they wouldn't dare try and enforce it for religious headgear!

As for cycle helmets. I usually take mine off for stops, but sometimes I forget. I always feel a bit stupid when I realise that I've been sitting in a cafe for 30 minutes with a pair of sunglasses, a bandana and a helmet on!

pepecat

A criminal behaviour?? For wearing a cycle helmet in a shop?? Seriously?

Well, arrest me then.......

If i'm nipping into a petrol station for a bottle of water and the transaction is going to take about a minute, i leave the helmet on, and (more criminal behaviour, no doubt), take my bike into the shop with me as I don't take a lock when i cycle. If there's a queue or i'm going to be a few minutes, I'll take the helmet off.

I'm not a gentleman, but any other place where i might be wearing a hat (usually abroad on holiday) I will remove it whenever i enter a shop / cafe / church / museum / etc / etc....... Tis polite to so do.

Top Bottom