What's the lowest amount of coinage you'd bend down for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I always pick it up, no matter how little. The nature of money is inherantly competitive. Its worth depends not only on what you can buy with it but also on the amount of it that you possess relative to the rest of the world. So picking up 1p means that one pennyworth of the world's wealth is now in one's own hands and has been removed from the hands of the rest of the world. So the net result is greater than 1p. Always picking up any coin, no matter how small, is a powerful reminder of this important observation: an observation that is potentially worth millions.

keithmac

Guru
A few years ago i was outside a shop,sitting on my bike,sorting my coins out before i went into the shop to buy some things. I've always avoided standing over a drain/grate while rooting through my pockets,but not this time. Low and behold,i dropped what turned out to be,if i remember rightly £2.50 down the grate. Being a tight wad i couldn't leave it,so i stuck my fingers down in between the drain cover and pulled the thing out. I was pretty impressed with my brute strength. :whistle:I didn't think it would move,but somehow i summoned up super human power to retrieve my £2.50. I thought it similar to those who lift up whole cars with their bare hands to rescue someone stuck underneath!:okay:

I dropped a customers motorcycle keys down the drain outside our shop, he'd passed me them right over the top of it.

Took 15 minutes of fishing about but luckily managed to retrieve them!.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would pick up anything of value, including random nuts, bolts and washers!

Very early in the New Year I went to the theatre with a friend and when I was buying drinks at the interval, I saw that the barman dropped a customer's change into the ice bucket by accident. He retrieved fresh coins from the till and and gave them to the customer. The other coins remained in the ice bucket. When he came to serve me he asked if I'd like a glass with ice with my cider. I said no, I'd just drink from the bottle...

A few days before Christmas 2018, I was walking and spotted a wad of notes lying on the ground just outside the door of a pharmacy. Not one I would usually frequent. I picked up the money and it came to €125. I figured that whoever dropped it was most probably on their way in or out of the pharmacy so I went in and explained what I had found and enquired if any of their customers had mentioned losing money. I left the money the manager along with my contact details. A few weeks later she phoned me saying that nobody had claimed the money and I could have it. I did make a reasonably generous donation to the charity box on the counter when I collected the money.

Top Bottom