What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've not tried it but there are some hilarious 'Surstromming Challenge' videos on Youtube. Warning: Vom-alert!xx(

I've eaten Hákarl (arguably) the Icelandic "equivalent". It is shark meat from the Greenland shark, which is left to ferment (rot?) for a couple of months, then dried. The original shark is poisonous without such treatment. The wikipedia entry says it "smells like cleaning products" (ammonia).
I took some to work after my holidays, but had few takers, and in the end complaints about smell from other parts of the office forced me to throw the rest away.

To be fair, although it doesn't smell great, it tastes OK, albeit I'd not want to eat a lot of it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Vegan burger.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've eaten Hákarl (arguably) the Icelandic "equivalent". It is shark meat from the Greenland shark, which is left to ferment (rot?) for a couple of months, then dried. The original shark is poisonous without such treatment. The wikipedia entry says it "smells like cleaning products" (ammonia).
I took some to work after my holidays, but had few takers, and in the end complaints about smell from other parts of the office forced me to throw the rest away.

To be fair, although it doesn't smell great, it tastes OK, albeit I'd not want to eat a lot of it.
It does make you wonder who was the person to try that.

Zeffer

Lobster eggs straight off a live lobster when I was out pulling pots with my uncle.

I expect I would like them now as I love sea food and sushi etc., but as an 8 year old I was unimpressed!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

A work colleague two offices along the corridor from us managed to stink out the entire floor with crab meat. I genuinely thought the toilets had backed up!.

gbb

Legendary Member
Apparently Ortolan Buntings have the misfortune of tasting like foi gras
I used to work regularly in Cyprus and often had bbq with a family and once tried bbq'd 'songbird' of some kind or other..a regular thing for them. I considered whether to or not...its dead anyway and my refusal wouldn't change their habits so I tried. Dunno why they bother tbh....it was distinctly ...meh.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It does make you wonder who was the person to try that.

And how many attempts it took before they worked out the minimum time it needed to rot for

My guess is they originally just dumped a shark carcass outside then noted a few month later that the dog had been eating it and hadn't died - so maybe worth risking it having been half starved during an Icelandic winter

I'll try anything at least once.

But the worst thing I'd ever eaten was some duck & orange pate that I'd bought from the deli counter in Tesco a few Christmases ago. It was just ghastly. One mouthful and the rest went in the bin.

I rarely throw food away, but ye gods, that stuff was awful.

Funny though, they haven't stocked it since...

U

User169

Ate surstromming yesterday.

Pretty good.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I love baby octopus :smile:

Mrs cisamcgu, when we were in Paris a few years ago where in one of the department stores, Printemps I think. We went to the cafe on the top floor. I had some egg creation, not too bad at all, but Mrs Cisamcgu had, what we have always described since as a "poo sausage" - it was disgusting, stank of sewage or worse, looked like a huge, pale thing from a 1970's Dr Who show.

Just inedible.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to work regularly in Cyprus and often had bbq with a family and once tried bbq'd 'songbird' of some kind or other..a regular thing for them. I considered whether to or not...its dead anyway and my refusal wouldn't change their habits so I tried. Dunno why they bother tbh....it was distinctly ...meh.

Oh yes, last time I was in Cyprus my agent insisted on showing me photos of dozens of tiny migratory birds he and his buddies had blasted out of the sky with shotguns. I think he was trying to provoke me. Killers of migratory birds are doing more harm to the planet's ecology than anybody else, I reckon.

Mrs cisamcgu, when we were in Paris a few years ago where in one of the department stores, Printemps I think. We went to the cafe on the top floor. I had some egg creation, not too bad at all, but Mrs Cisamcgu had, what we have always described since as a "poo sausage" - it was disgusting, stank of sewage or worse, looked like a huge, pale thing from a 1970's Dr Who show.

Just inedible.

Yes, I've tried andouillette, it really is a disgusting lump of offal and yes, it smells awful.

Top Bottom