What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Last edited:
Natto bean.
Japanese breakfast treat for people who have lost the flexibility to lick between their own toes and are not on so familiar terms with anyone else.

I was once stranded on an island where we ran out of food. We developed a taste for raw sea urchins and other abundant shellfish. They do taste (and look) a bit odd. Bright orange as I recall. Not so sure that I would want one now.

For the curious, this was my island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desolación_Island
Yes i had the misfortune in Hawaii, totally gross. Had some fairly rank abalone in hong kong as well, but the sea urchin breaks the puke-o-meter.

presta

Guru
Octopus: like lumps of gristle.
The most disgusting food I've never eaten was sea cucumber, a slug the size of a cucumber which quivered on the plate like a giant bogey.
Sheep poo.
I was camping. It was dark. I knocked my pan over................
"An experienced fellwalker can tell the difference between bilberries and sheep droppings by the taste"
Alfred Wainwright.

Mrs cisamcgu, when we were in Paris a few years ago where in one of the department stores, Printemps I think. We went to the cafe on the top floor. I had some egg creation, not too bad at all, but Mrs Cisamcgu had, what we have always described since as a "poo sausage" - it was disgusting, stank of sewage or worse, looked like a huge, pale thing from a 1970's Dr Who show.

Just inedible.
Like most sensible people who try it, any thoughts I had entertained about being open-minded about French cuisine died the moment I ate andouillette.

Octopus: like lumps of gristle.
The most disgusting food I've never eaten was sea cucumber, a slug the size of a cucumber which quivered on the plate like a giant bogey.

"An experienced fellwalker can tell the difference between bilberries and sheep droppings by the taste"
Alfred Wainwright.
Sea cucumber sounds vile :wacko:, but i virtually lived off octopus in Sardinia last year, yum!:okay:

I've eaten both and enjoyed them in Japan. However, I dislike a lot of Sushi.
Goose foot soup fairly rancid due to:
a) the smell, and
b) the whole goose foot floating in it, and,
c) the smell
My Chinese colleagues thought it was great and a real delicacy :wacko:

presta

Guru
Sea cucumber sounds vile :wacko:, but i virtually lived off octopus in Sardinia last year, yum!:okay:
I've seen celeb chefs on TV argue that it's overcooking that makes octopus gristly, mine was from a local takeaway.
As I say, I passed on the sea cucumber, but that was just one course of a ten course Chinese wedding banquet and the rest of it was great.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was once stranded on an island where we ran out of food. We developed a taste for raw sea urchins and other abundant shellfish. They do taste (and look) a bit odd. Bright orange as I recall. Not so sure that I would want one now.

For the curious, this was my island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desolación_Island
Wow, I didn't know the bottom end of Chile had such a mass of islands. Nearest for me was Uruguay, not terrible food but possibly the most bland uninspiring food I ever tasted.

Top Bottom