What's the point of ignore lists?

Should we get rid of the ignore list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I would never put someone on ignore because I didn't like their views - they are the most interesting people to debate with, and occasionally challenge one's thinking. The only people on my ignore list are those who post complete nonsense, and even then I keep Stoney off the list for his amusement value.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
People go on my ignore list when they are pointlessly rude, and then only temporarily. Life is too short to deal with angry, rude people when you don't have to - there's enough of them that you can't avoid in real life! It tends to be either newcomers to the forum who seem to feel the need to make an impression, or trolls - and the trolls usually get removed pretty quick by Shaun. There's no-one on my list now.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Flying_Monkey said:
People go on my ignore list when they are pointlessly rude, and then only temporarily. Life is too short to deal with angry, rude people when you don't have to - there's enough of them that you can't avoid in real life! It tends to be either newcomers to the forum who seem to feel the need to make an impression, or trolls - and the trolls usually get removed pretty quick by Shaun. There's no-one on my list now.

To go off at a tangent, that line reminded me: is it just me or is the word "angry" currently being used in a pejorative sense? I mean, if somebody is angry they are being bad? I'm not actually sure about this and I'm not suggesting that FM in that particular post is using it in that sense but I was wondering if anybody else had noticed this.

FWIW I think anger can often be justified. Whether or not one should give in to it i.e. show it, is another matter.

Jonathan M

yello said:
I don't use it, but some do. Therefore I say keep it.

Why people put others on their ignore list is their concern.

+1. Some of the pompous pr*cks on here do cheese me off sometimes, but things seem to have been quieter recently. Either they've put me on an ignore list, or they've gone somewhere else.

I've never used an ignore list, never will. But if others wish to use it, then that is their choice.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Andy in Sig said:
To go off at a tangent, that line reminded me: is it just me or is the word "angry" currently being used in a pejorative sense? I mean, if somebody is angry they are being bad? I'm not actually sure about this and I'm not suggesting that FM in that particular post is using it in that sense but I was wondering if anybody else had noticed this.

FWIW I think anger can often be justified. Whether or not one should give in to it i.e. show it, is another matter.

Righteous indignation? Is that the phrase?

Some people (not just those on this forum) appear to be so angry for one reason or another, and so that their anger in a given situation may be completely out of proportion to the actual incident "causing" their anger.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I used to have someone on my ignore list because I couldn't bear their mangling of English - plus they never said anything I actually wanted to read. However, my sense of curiosity meant that half the time I would click 'view this post' anyway to see what they'd said. So I un-ignored them.

I have occasional desires to 'ignore' people who just post stupid waffle in café, but that might mean that I ignore almost everyone in café...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have used it twice. Once for a poster who now appears to have left the forum.

Also used it briefly more recently, and found that the threads made just as much sense without that poster's posts. :biggrin: He has also left the forum.

I think I was on Bonj's ignore list, cos he never answered any of my questions. :ohmy:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Speicher said:
I think I was on Bonj's ignore list, cos he never answered any of my questions.

Bonj never answers anyone's questions. You're not alone there.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the great virtue of ignore lists is that you avoid reading stuff that is depressing, or unpleasant. Of course there are those mischievous souls (you know who you are, theclaud) who quote the ignorees, but the quoted post becomes a kind of in-joke, and doesn't offend me in the way the original might have.

I like that arbitrary make-up of my ignore list. There are people on there I cannot recall. The thing becomes a kind of game. Who is Maverick? What might he or she be writing? Equally there are a couple of people I've met and didn't like - and their inclusion on the list has nothing to do with anything they've ever posted here.

The whole point is this. When I switch on Cycle Chat I want to be enlightened or charmed. I quite like to ponder points of view remote from my own, but I've no desire at all to read stuff that convinces me that humanity is going to hell in a hand-cart.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In the olden days there was something called a kill-file. That ensured that you didn't even know when people had posted. The trouble with the ignore list is that you can still see exactly who has posted, and when. If you like picking at scabs that is an invitation to de-ignore people.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I personally can't see the point of cutting oneself off from differing points of view unless they are clearly irrational (as opposed to mistaken). OTH there is an undeniable right to ignore if one will.

That said, I think that the ignorer should show some sort of manners e.g. I get annoyed at Dell taking digs at Patrick who he professes to ignore and has occasionally made a fool of himself in a very minor way by assuming a content in some of Patrick's posts which bears no resemblance to reality. That, IMO, is as churlish as it is childish but in the bigger scheme of things, it is of course as nothing.

Andy in Sig said:
I personally can't see the point of cutting oneself off from differing points of view unless they are clearly irrational (as opposed to mistaken). OTH there is an undeniable right to ignore if one will.

That said, I think that the ignorer should show some sort of manners e.g. I get annoyed at Dell taking digs at Patrick who he professes to ignore and has occasionally made a fool of himself in a very minor way by assuming a content in some of Patrick's posts which bears no resemblance to reality. That, IMO, is as churlish as it is childish but in the bigger scheme of things, it is of course as nothing.

And of course, I can always ignore childish behaviour.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
Of course there are those mischievous souls (you know who you are, theclaud) who quote the ignorees

Me? ;)

OK - busted. But I'll have you know it's not a haphazard affair but a form of forum orchestration. I am very selective, and I always leave ignored the bits the ignorees really want quoted. I must admit that playing your ignore list is a huge source of entertainment, because the ignorees are so obviously rattled by it.

theclaud said:
Me? ;)

OK - busted. But I'll have you know it's not a haphazard affair but a form of forum orchestration. I am very selective, and I always leave ignored the bits the ignorees really want quoted. I must admit that playing your ignore list is a huge source of entertainment, because the ignorees are so obviously rattled by it.

Ignorees can test it by posting that they are going to burgle dellzeqq's house, or that he's on the BNP membership list as secretary of the Streatham branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom