What's the point of ignore lists?

Should we get rid of the ignore list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
you want the smiley to be taken in to consideration...?

Heh heh. I knew you'd like it. Don't pretend you haven't gone soft on smilies lately...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
lalalalalaica128529515546562500.jpg

spire

To the point
The subject of 'ignore lists' has come up again and is taking two threads off-topic, so I've bumped this thread.

One of the major attractions of this place is the diversity of views, for example FM and Gary see things from a completely different perspective to me and I welcome this challenge (though I will seldom admit it!).

Last Friday, Ben and I joined FM and Gary on the ever-swelling ranks of Dell's ignore list and he will only engage with acolytes, disciples and sycophants. What is the point of that?

Bad Company

Very Old Person
The subject of 'ignore lists' has come up again and is taking two threads off-topic, so I've bumped this thread.

One of the major attractions of this place is the diversity of views, for example FM and Gary see things from a completely different perspective to me and I welcome this challenge (though I will seldom admit it!).

Last Friday, Ben and I joined FM and Gary on the ever-swelling ranks of Dell's ignore list and he will only engage with acolytes, disciples and sycophants. What is the point of that?

I have never used the ignore function. How do you know that you, Gary and FM are on Dell's ignore list?

>And it means that some threads develop in a very strange way, you ask a valid question and never get a reply, etc.....

I routinely converse with certain 'people' but never get a reply ! - Pat Stevens is namely one of them....

It's certainly not deliberate. It may be that I've interpreted your posts as being rhetorical.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Dell must do as he sees fit.

It does seem to me however that there is an obligation of manners or etiquette if you will which should come with running an ignore list and that is that you should refrain from having digs, however obliquely, at the people you claim to be ignoring (clearly you're not ignoring somebody if you choose not to see their posts but still make comments about them) as that is simply cowardly because they are denied the facility of direct reply.

I believe that I'm on three ignore lists at the moment. I'd rather not be on any because to engage in debate is fun and the exchange of views surely does all of us good.

I think I accepted people ignoring simoncc and spindrift but they were impossible, maybe even slightly disturbed, characters.

If people have real differences, I think the best thing is to resolve them by PM.

spire

To the point
you should refrain from having digs, however obliquely, at the people you claim to be ignoring (clearly you're not ignoring somebody if you choose not to see their posts but still make comments about them)

Dell did this today, putting my name in some silly rhyme.

It is the equivalent of the sad kid at school with his fingers in his ears calling other people names.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I'm in favour of keeping 'em. The only active member on my list is Love benjoy..for the same reasons (albeit lesser) than Paramedic, Banjo and of course ....drum roll:

33agbbs.jpg

The unmentionable one :ph34r:

.....willful ignorance and the lack or redeeming features.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
blood pressure. That's a good reason for having an ignore list. As is boredom. And distaste. And, then again, there's room for the personal stuff, like loyalty to a friend who is insulted by another forumee.

All in all it cuts down on life's little aggravations. Helps the digestion. You should try it some time.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have never used the ignore function. How do you know that you, Gary and FM are on Dell's ignore list?
It would be discourteous (sp?) not to tell them

Although, if I'm completely honest, there are people on my ignore list that I've never even heard of, so it may be that I didn't tell them...

here's the thing. Zimmers is a rank Tory - don't protest, Zimmers, you know it, I know it, the world knows it. He rides a fixie. He's a beardy. His views on handlebar alignment will be quoted by satirists for years to come. Is he on the ignore list? Of course not. His failings may be legion, legendary even, but he's got a sense of humour, a talent to amuse, and, even though he wouldn't choose to put it this way (and I'll doubtless be put on his ignore list for saying it) a love of humankind. To look in to Zimmers' eyes (this really is going to get me on his ignore list) is to see that love. Oh - and he is really, really good with a puncture patch. TEC duties beckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom