what's the point of quorn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Most quorn meat I don't like, but I do like quorn sausages and quorn meatballs. The former make a very good sausage casserole and the latter make a decent spaghetti. I'm not even vegetarian either.

Isn't it made from fungus or algae or something equally snot like?

Yes, it's made from MyCOPprotein which is a funghi grown in water. Essentially they harvest it and then process it. There factory is on the route to Kildale and the moors in Stokesley.

Had an interview there once and the premises are brand heavy with products for sale in reception.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I saw saw quorn mince in the supermarket on a promotional price of £1 for a 500g (I think) bag. I got several and used them for shepherds pie etc. Once the onions and other ingredients had been added it tasted pretty much the same as 'normal' mince.

If you're vegetarian, why eat meat free sausages? Isn't acting out the ritual perpetuating the desire for meat?

A meat substitute I can utterly understand. A meat substitute designed to look and taste like meat goes way beyond me (although I'm cool if it floats your boat).

I laugh at the fecking idiots who think that meat has an exclusive on being sausage shaped. For your information, this is the shape of something made of meat:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwpjOmPtw60Ef0SqIz_IYa_iZdVBsTVMqLEUWHHblx0SeX6ftymQ.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Like mushrooms then.
Quorn's 2002 debut in the US was more problematic than its European introduction. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) expressed multiple concerns over the product. Much of the concern from CSPI and others was over the original labeling of Quorn as a "mushroom based" product, since Fusarium venenatum is not a mushroom (rather, it is a microfungus). The sale of Quorn was contested by The American Mushroom Institute, rival Gardenburger, as well as the CSPI. They filed complaints with advertising and trading-standards watchdogs in Europe and the US, claiming the labelling of Quorn as "mushroom based" was deceptive. The CSPI observed that while a mushroom is a fungus, Fusarium is not a mushroom, and stated, "Quorn's fungus is as closely related to mushrooms as humans are to jellyfish."

Top Bottom