what's the point of quorn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I laugh at the fecking idiots who think that meat has an exclusive on being sausage shaped. For your information, this is the shape of something made of meat:
View attachment 344329
Nice udders.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
For the price I'd rather eat a Quorn dish than cheap fatty meat that has been pressure washed off a carcass. If it's meat it has to be lean and ideally ethical. I was veggie for a couple of years for health/weight reasons but now eat meat maybe twice a week, Quorn maybe three times a week and the remaining days a spinach & marscaponi pizza or vegetable lasagna or pasta bake with olives/mushrooms/nuts. Try the Quorn pies they are lovely - amazing puff pastry you'd otherwise pay a fortune for!

subaqua

What’s the point
I dont eat meat and I'm trying to not have dairy either, but fail with cheese.
The point of Quorn is to provide people off all walks of life with a tasteless and overpriced dinner.
Supermarket non meat alternatives are much better and cheaper in my opinion.

Cheese is my big downfall. can happily not eat meat , but eggs n cheese . gotta have them . just something about them .

I do tend to fart lots more when doing the meat free weeks.

DRHysted

Guru
My mother is a vegetarian because she doesn't like the taste or texture of meat and never has. When all this fake stuff started appearing it made eating out quite interesting (of course they still always gave the option of chicken or fish & were quite put out when she pointed it they were meat).
To be honest we rarely eat out, as I'm lactose intolerant with ibs which is triggered by most vegetables, and getting restaurants to just serve a plate of veggies for her seems to offend them.
So from our household I don't see the point of Quorn, but we are all different, and as I've learned we all have different tastes & digestive abilities.

Drago

Legendary Member
For the price I'd rather eat a Quorn dish than cheap fatty meat that has been pressure washed off a carcass

You see, that's a very interesting point. People say, "oh, don't eat sausages cos they're full of brains, sphincters and testicles", but to my mind why would us meatatarians eat anything else when sausages rammed full of brains, sphincters and testicles taste so good?

You see, that's a very interesting point. People say, "oh, don't eat sausages cos they're full of brains, sphincters and testicles", but to my mind why would us meatatarians eat anything else when sausages rammed full of brains, sphincters and testicles taste so good?
Quite. Fat soluble vitamins aren't generally found naturally in plants and mould ( which is pretty much what Quorn is).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The point of Quorn is to make money for its owners, a Filipino food conglomerate. The original point of Quorn was to make money for its original owners, Rank Hovis McDougall and ICI, a British food conglomerate and a British chemicals company.

I don't understand strict vegetarianism, except for the minority who don't like meat. I do understand a desire to eat (much) less meat, and much less processed and factory food.

There are many natural sources of vegetarian protein, all of which are as convenient as industrial fungus, and which are a lot more palatable. I have never met a bit of factory meat substitute I have wanted to eat twice. I'd be delighted to eat more nuts, pulses, and cheese.

srw

What about those who think meat production is cruel to animals and therefore avoid it? Surely you can understand that.
No. Because if I understood it I'd follow it.

Much meat production is cruel, but without meat production none of the animals we currently rear for meat would survive. Leaving them to die is crueller than raising them well and killing them quickly. A good life and a quick end also produces tasty meat.

srw

Oh. This is the caff. A nice cup of tea and a bikkit made with industrial saturated fat anyone? A nice by-product of the oil industry....

Top Bottom