what's the point of quorn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Much meat production is cruel, but without meat production none of the animals we currently rear for meat would survive.

That has always struck me as a somewhat confused argument. These are not wild animals fending for themselves on the plains of the Serengeti, they're bred for a purpose - often artificially. Without meat production, they wouldn't even exist.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No. Because if I understood it I'd follow it.

Really?

I'm not an animal lover, but can understand people who are.

As for your other 'point'... you've clearly forgotton about the animals we don't farm... there's loads of them and they're doing ok.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
you've clearly forgotton about the animals we don't farm... there's loads of them and they're doing ok

You're forgetting about the differences between wild and domesticated animals - the latter would not survive if left to fend for themselves.

But it's a moot point because we wouldn't be leaving them to fend for themselves, we just wouldn't be producing them in the first place.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That has always struck me as a somewhat confused argument. These are not wild animals fending for themselves on the plains of the Serengeti, they're bred for a purpose - often artificially. Without meat production, they wouldn't even exist.
But they do exist. If you're going to stop farming them they're going to die horrible and slow deaths. It's not a hugely sophisticated argument, but I was only on a phone, and this is the caff.

I still think it's rather more sophisticated than "think of cruelty to animals". If you want to think about cruelty to animals by humans I wouldn't start with meat production, which at its best (or even it's not-quite-worst) can be quite benign. I'd start with field sports, including angling, pet-breeding, especially for certain extreme characteristics, and some forms of horse-riding, in all of which some of the practices are worse than in meat factories.

Anyway, enough of such seriousness. Vegan factory-produced bikkit?

Celticdog

What I don't get is that if a veggie comes round for tea they expect you to knock up a veggie meal to suit them, but if you go round a veggie's house they won't knock up steak and chips to suit you, doesn't seem fair really.

Drago

Legendary Member
A mate of mine is a veggie. He always gets a nice steaming cup of Bovril when he visits.

MarkF

Guru
I am veggie and have never felt the need for meat substitutes as I never much liked meat as a kid, but I buy the quorn cottage pies when they are reduced to a £1 and take them to work for lunch, they are very tasty. :okay: My daughter uses quorn mince with spaghetti, she gets though a lot of the stuff.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Last edited:

BikeCurious

Über Member
What I don't get is that if a veggie comes round for tea they expect you to knock up a veggie meal to suit them, but if you go round a veggie's house they won't knock up steak and chips to suit you, doesn't seem fair really.
If you don't like what's being served, don't come round.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
At a dinner party I threw many years ago, there was one veggie among the guests. I made fish for everyone else and a veggie dish for her. Turned out one of the other guests didn't eat fish but the 'vegetarian' did, so they swapped plates.

These days, if I had veggies coming round for dinner, I would make the whole meal vegetarian for everyone. And it almost certainly wouldn't involve Quorn.

Top Bottom