Whats the sexiest road racing bike then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the other extreme, this one has a certain "style"......

main_46.jpeg

Pashley "Guv'nor

Dave5N

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
The coincidence is entirely manufactured on my part. I don't know why but MB get's my goat (pardon the pun) probaly due to his extravagant claims for his Lotus bike (so much so that numptys were led to believe that the bike won the Olympic Pursuit rather than the guy on it) and his relationship with Obree (Obree doesn't think much of him either).

I thought Obree took the Hour on the bike he built himself, having missed the day before :smile: on Burrow's copy?

Dave5N said:
I lent my copy of his book to someone at work a few years ago, so I'm a bit hazy, but wasn't there something about the whole Burrows/Boardman thing that upset Obree?

The UCI were very much anti - Obree, as far as I recall from Mike Hutchinson's book "The Hour". I think they ratified Boardman's hour record, then abruptly changed the rules when Obree beat it not long later, and refused to recognise his record.:smile: Something like that, anyway.
Not sure what Burrows had to do with it, politically speaking, but anyone who designed the Windcheetah is alright by me.

But didn't Boardman have his record (on the Burrows Lotus bike) recognised, and Obree (on his homemade washing machine special) not? I've lent the book to someone so I can't go and look it up.
As far as I remember, Obree set the first "modern" hour record, then Boardman beat it with his 56 and a bit KM, then Obree beat that. But the UCI changed the rules immediately after Obree's second attempt and said that any record should now be set on an old style track bike. No aero aids, nothing. Which meant that Obree's "superman" position was suddenly illegal, even though Boardman's record (which I think still stands) had been set using modern gear and an aero position.
All of this may be wrong.

Dave5N

Über Member
It may well be.

Obree took the hour first (from F. Moser). Boardman did it again a week later. Obree did take it back later.

Verbruggen et al threw their toys out the pram and changed the rules to an idealised 'Merkx' bike. Read Hutchinson for an amusing take on it. Boardman stuffed HV by beating the record anyway.

It pisses me off that everyone thinks Obree was a lucky chancer with a new technology, a new position or two. OK, he improvised, but fundamentally he was a supremely superb athlete who despite the odds and the limitations of his support achieved things the serving professionals couldn't.

As someone once said: it's not about the bike.

Dave5N said:
It may well be.

Obree took the hour first (from F. Moser). Boardman did it again a week later. Obree did take it back later.

Verbruggen et al threw their toys out the pram and changed the rules to an idealised 'Merkx' bike. Read Hutchinson for an amusing take on it. Boardman stuffed HV by beating the record anyway.

It pisses me off that everyone thinks Obree was a lucky chancer with a new technology, a new position or two. OK, he improvised, but fundamentally he was a supremely superb athlete who despite the odds and the limitations of his support achieved things the serving professionals couldn't.

As someone once said: it's not about the bike.

That sounds more accurate than my rendition of it. Hutchinson's book is a good read.
I agree with you about Obree, I'll be reading his book when I get round to buying it.

Top Bottom