What's the strangest thing anyone has shouted at you, from a passing car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I wasn't cycling but I was unlocking my bike from outside a newsagent on a busy main road. A car full of guys my age was stuck in traffic and they kept saying 'we've caught ya'...I'd not had my morning coffee so I was pretty confused, a couple of minutes later they'd gone round the mini roundabout and stopped to say the same thing. I can only presume they thought I was rolling a joint because my roll-ups tend to look that way...somehow...officer.

GOAB

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was climbing a steep hill from weston seafront in the summer, and was twerking away out of the saddle.
That ain't how you pedal!

Anyway, Madeira Road? I've had stuff shouted at me around there but never been able to decipher it.

A couple of years ago, after that nice Mr Clarkson made a cycling safety film, there was a few weeks with people shouting "grow up". Oh, how original!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't cycling but I was unlocking my bike from outside a newsagent on a busy main road. A car full of guys my age was stuck in traffic and they kept saying 'we've caught ya'...I'd not had my morning coffee so I was pretty confused, a couple of minutes later they'd gone round the mini roundabout and stopped to say the same thing. I can only presume they thought I was rolling a joint because my roll-ups tend to look that way...somehow...officer.

GOAB

Sounds to me as if they were suggesting they'd caught you stealing a bicycle.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Sounds to me as if they were suggesting they'd caught you stealing a bicycle.

I think I'd already unlocked it and had stood it up against the wall at this point. Needless to say I was incredibly confused but I don't understand why they turned round at the roundabout to say it again. Oh well, guess I'll never know.

GOAB

That ain't how you pedal!

Anyway, Madeira Road? I've had stuff shouted at me around there but never been able to decipher it.

A couple of years ago, after that nice Mr Clarkson made a cycling safety film, there was a few weeks with people shouting "grow up". Oh, how original!

That's the one. You've obviously never followed me up a hill.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The usuals:-

You bender
Your wheels are going round

etc.

Best one was a group of chav's pulling level with me, I though oh no this isn't going to go well (I was near the lovely Hattersley).... guy leans out of the window (this really isn't going to go well), shouts. "Wow you're doing 30 miles an hour" - puts his thumb up ! Shocked, I nearly fell off.

The most random one was getting a bag of "wotsits" emptied over me. The down side is I didn't catch any to munch.

I do know someone on here was slapped by a big wet fish (no joke) and another shot at.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've told this one before.

I was behind another cyclist (racing snake) and we got to a junction. A car full of youth's pulled up beside us. One shouted out the window. "Oi you're gay!", to which the racing snake replied quick as a flash. "Not when I'm f**king your mum I'm not"

I roared with laughter.

NeilM

I'm mostly deaf in my right ear, and despite wearing a hearing aid anything shouted from either the passenger or worse the drivers side of a car just comes to me as a lot of shouty noise.... which I ignore.

On a group ride, returning to Weston-s-Mare down the back lanes I nearly rode into the back of a car that was reversing back from a hump back bridge, presumably because he was going to try and 'get some air'. Anyway, 35 years of motorcycling / driving / cycling meant that I reacted quickly and undertook the car with several inches to spare. This affront to spotty teenage manhood was repaid by the small car speeding past me, close passing and the passenger throwing a banana peel at me......which missed. I don't normally shout at cars, but I couldn't help laughing and shouting "you f*ckin missed". I bet they didn't boast about that one later.

Passing a yoof on a short nasty climb outside the village of Banwell, I was surprised by the comment of "fair play mate!" I think I managed to wheeze a 'thanks'.

sarahale

Über Member
'You fing saw nothing dosser'

Very early one morning I came across a van hurtling down the road pulling a huge length of copper wiring (hard to tell for sure in the dark) he had obviously stolen from somewhere. Some way behind the end of the wiring followed a mini digger type vehicle the driver of which shouted the above to me.

Top Bottom